by tidyjim Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

EE smart hub and RF interference

Whilst trying to find a corded phone to carry out a QLT over the last few days, I have found a direct link between the smart hub and my fridge/freezer thermostats which I believe to be the cause for my frequent connection drops. 

The RF interference is the issue here. 

I have consequently moved the smart hub to the other end of the house as far away as possible from the fridge and freezer, but the results are the same. 

This morning I fitted brand new replacement thermostats to both appliances purchased from the manufacturer, and the results are still no different with multiple dropouts every hour!

This afternoon I purchased and clamped a ferrite ring to the AC power cord on both appliances but this hasn’t helped. 

Where do I go from here?

2 REPLIES 2
by tidyjim Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: EE Smart Hub repeatedly dropping out

Whilst trying to find a corded phone to carry out a QLT over the last few days, I have found a direct link between the smart hub and my fridge/freezer thermostats which I believe to be the cause for my frequent connection drops. 

The RF interference is the issue here. 

I have consequently moved the smart hub to the other end of the house as far away as possible from the fridge and freezer, but the results are the same. 

This morning I fitted brand new replacement thermostats to both appliances purchased from the manufacturer, and the results are still no different with multiple dropouts every hour!

This afternoon I purchased and clamped a ferrite ring to the AC power cord on both appliances but this hasn’t helped. 

Where do I go from here?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: EE smart hub and RF interference

Still the QLT.

If you suspect there is something interfering with your broadband, get an AM/MW radio and tune it to 612KHz.

If you hold the radio next to an LCD screen for your PC as an example you would hear a distinct noise. This should fade away if you move the radio a quarter to half a meter away. Hold it by your modem/router and you'll hear the DSL signal.

Tracking REIN MW radio 612KHz

If you get a distinct noise enveloping a larger area, then this may be picked up by your router causing an SNR problem (or even drop of sync). By using the radio you may be able to get an idea of where the noise is coming from. Switch the suspect appliance off & retest your DSL broadband connection. By distinct noise you're looking for a clear buzz, whistle, clicking etc. White noise or a general shhhhh noise is less likely to be the cause of the problem, same as any radio broadcast.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.