by DoubleG Investigator
Investigator

EE ripping off my mum

My mum has been a loyal EE broadband customer for some time. She was getting some trouble from poor WiFi signal, so she approached EE for advice. 

EE insisted she buy a better router from Argos at her own expense. She did this but had no increase in signal strength. So EE insisted she take up a BT contract (for some reason). This BT hub still didn't improve her wifi, so she phoned EE again and they put her back on EE hub.

My mum never signed a contract with bt, but bt seem to believe that my mum owes them money. This can only be because of your mismanagement.

I feel you are trying to rinse my OAP mother of every penny she has, taking advantage of her and generally being a bad company.

I would like for you to sort this out as my mum is confused and afraid by all the threatening talk. 

8 REPLIES 8
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: EE ripping off my mum

You are going to have to contact EE by phone. These is no account access on here so we wont be able to assist with this query and we are just EE customers ourselves.

If you ring with your mom in the room with you she can then give them her permission for them to speak to you.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by DoubleG Investigator
Investigator

We have tried that however ee are refusing to even acknowledge this was their mistake. They were the ones who signed up to BT without my mum's knowledge or understanding and now they are trying to wash their hands of it.

I feel EE are a REALLY bad company with dubious practices and poor staff training. Or perhaps the call centre staff are acting exactly as EE wants, looking for easy marks amoungst their customer base for their corporate friends to rip off....

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @DoubleG 

Make a DSAR request to EE for all the information on the calls/records of your mothers interactions with EE. 

I wouldn't think EE would have said buy another router from Argos, when they would have sent out another replacement if it was faulty. As @BrendonH has said call and speak to someone after your mother has verified you on her account, or arrange a threeway call. 

Alternatively you can complain here

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by DoubleG Investigator
Investigator

@Northerner thanks.

The router EE forced my mum to buy was a booster router, to try and increase the signal strength. But that didn't seem to do anything. I assume that BT routers are better than EE routers which was why they moved her over.

My problem is they never explained what was happening to my mum and now they are claiming it is nothing to do with them.

I will try again to talk to them with my mother. Can I ask what a DSAR request is? Is that the same as a FOI request?

by DoubleG Investigator
Investigator

thanks @Northerner 

The router EE forced my mum to buy was a booster router, to try and increase the signal strength. But that didn't seem to do anything. I assume that BT routers are better than EE routers which was why they moved her over.

My problem is they never explained what was happening to my mum and now they are claiming it is nothing to do with them.

I will try again to talk to them with my mother. Can I ask what a DSAR request is? Is that the same as a FOI request?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@DoubleG 

So it was a signal booster not a new router? 

A signal booster would make more sense as this will extend the range of your router wifi. they are about £20 in Argos (or cheaper on amazon) 

An FOI request is for public information, as DSAR is for personal data held. They are different. See EE policy here.

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

I don't see EE themselves moving her over to BT, even if they are part of the same group. What would be the point? It's essentially the same network. The EE Smart Hub is just a BT Smart Hub under another guise. The migration process doesn't work that way anyway

Can you take a look at her Smart Hub: on the Advanced Settings / Broadband / Internet page and post the 1st 3 parts of the IP addy?

The "router" from Argos wouldn't be a router but probably a Powerline wireless extender.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Team

Hi @DoubleG,

Welcome to the community 🙂

I'm sorry to here your Mam has had some issues with her Home Broadband account and you have been unable to get them resolved for her.

I have sent you a private message to get some further information.

If you could take a look and get back to me 🙂

Alex

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.