by KnittingNancy Investigator
Investigator

EE access control issue with 2 phones

Hello, I am trying to set up access control on my daughters phone. It's a Samsung J5, but I have the same phone. They are both showing up as the same phone on my device list, if I rename one, the other renames to the same. If I put access control on one it goes onto mine. It's frustrating especially with the kids being off school for however knows long now, I need to be able to control their internet time. Is there a way to solve this? Thanksphones.png

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Investigator
Solution

Re: EE access control issue with 2 phones

Solved!! I did try what you suggested, @XRaySpeX  and thank you for all the help, but it still didn't work, even though there are 2 separate IP and Mac addresses, they both still showed up as the same phone. So I went into the phone settings, and realised both phones we're set to a default name of Samsung J5, so I changed them on both phones, disconnected them, reconnected to the internet and finally, they showed with different names and I was able to put access control on my daughters phone. Very happy, thanks again for the help.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Your phones have diff MAC addys showing .You can id them by their MAC addys. On the phones look up their WiFi MAC addys under something like Connections / WiFi / Advanced.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Hi yes thanks, I can see them, but even when I set the daughters with access control it also goes onto mine, not sure how to stop it. It seems like the either both have to have access control, or neither.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Try taking the Access Control off your daughter's, removing yours from the My Networks list, add back your daughter's Access Control & then connect yours. Does yours still end up with Access Control?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

I've just tried that. If I remove mine, hers disappears too. I even forgot network on my phone, switched it off, sorted out the daughters with all access control. Reconnected mine and it put the access control on mine again. I'm baffled.

Investigator

Trying to add a photo of it but it wont show up

https://i.imgur.com/rx8FioD.jpg

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@KnittingNancy , the reason the uploaded photo does not show, is that it needs to be approved before it will be seen here.

Have you tried logging-into your account via the website and doing it from there? You should be able to, otherwise I advise you to ring customer service to see if they can sort this out for you.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you adding Access Control by selecting Device from a drop-down list? Try doing everything for Access Control by entering by IP Addy only.

Same with removing yours from it do Show IP Addy before removing it.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Schockwave : Eh? You can't set Access Control for a router from MyEE.

Highlighted
Investigator
Solution

Solved!! I did try what you suggested, @XRaySpeX  and thank you for all the help, but it still didn't work, even though there are 2 separate IP and Mac addresses, they both still showed up as the same phone. So I went into the phone settings, and realised both phones we're set to a default name of Samsung J5, so I changed them on both phones, disconnected them, reconnected to the internet and finally, they showed with different names and I was able to put access control on my daughters phone. Very happy, thanks again for the help.

View solution in original post

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions