by BoNydal Investigator
Investigator

EE SmartHub WiFi Shutting Down

I have a setup consisting of an EE SmartHub with wired network connections to three desktops, a network printer and a couple of WAPs, which improve the WiFi coverage throughout my home. This has worked very well for many months.

Over the last few days, however, I have had problems with the WiFi emanating from the SmartHub itself. In my front room (where the SmartHub is housed in a cupboard) WiFi connections have been suddenly interrupted, causing issues with FB Messenger video conversations and video streaming services operating via tablet/miracast.

During one of these interruptions, checking the tablet (and also android and Apple phones) neither of the WiFi services provided by the SmartHub (2.4 and 5GHz) are listed, implying that their transmission has ceased. In the meantime the tablet has switched to the nearest of my WAPs (with a different SSID) which has a much weaker (and inadequate for streaming) signal.

Logging onto the SmartHub the admin interface states that both of the WiFi services are 'On'. Given that 4 mobile devices are detecting no signal from the SmartHub and that rebooting the SmartHub restores the availability of its WiFi signals (rebooting the mobile devices has no such effect) it is clear to me that the issue lies with the SmartHub.

Checking the firmware version for the SmartHub (v0.04.02.09120-EE) I learn that it was updated on 29/11/19. As I cannot say for sure exactly when the WiFi problem first occurred I am not in a position to definitively conclude that this firmware update is to blame, but the timing is extremely suggestive of that idea.

I would be grateful for your assistance with resolving this issue. 

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: EE SmartHub WiFi Shutting Down

Hi @BoNydal 

Have you tried changing your WiFi channel?

I would also add that for your usage I would recommend investing in much more capable router. In the long run it will meet your needs better than the free router provided by the ISP. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Have you split the 2 wireless bands?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by BoNydal Investigator
Investigator

The SmartHub chooses its own channels, through an allegedly 'Smart' algorithm. I could override that, I suppose, but I can see no rational link between the selection of specific channel numbers (1 & 44 in this case) and the observed behaviour. Is there one, or is this just a 'might as well give this a try' type suggestion ?

My interest is piqued by your suggestion that I should buy a more capable router. Firstly it is interesting to note that advertising by the ISP gives no hint that they are foisting on their users a product that is not a fully capable piece of equipment. Secondly, what I require from this product is modem functionality, simple routing capabilities, a gigabit switch and dual band WiFi. I do not require the complex filtering and routing capabilities nor complex port forwarding rules which are the principal benefits of a more capable router. I just need this one to do its job, reliably. When you write 'capable' do you really mean 'reliable' ?

I still have a BT version of this router that never behaved in this way. I may reinstall that to see if reliable service is resumed.

by BoNydal Investigator
Investigator

Yes I have, I split and renamed the two channels when I first configured the SmartHub.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

ISP routers are never a patch on generic routers from the major router manufacturers. They are built down to a cost.

The EE SH is particularly dumb & is far weaker functionally than its predecessor.

I believe that the BT SH will not work on EE BB as it won't accept the EE BB Username.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by BoNydal Investigator
Investigator

Thanks, I'll look into finding a replacement. Any suggestions ? If the BT SH can't accept the EE BB Username what are the chances that other models will be able to accept it ?

The dumbness and weakness of the EE SH, while a potential issue, does not in itself explain why the device has suddenly changed its behaviour in respect of its WiFi reliability. I guess that either it has developed a hardware malfunction in the last couple of weeks or the firmware update that happened recently has caused the malfunction.

Any ideas on how I determine which ? Or any idea whether I can roll back the firmware update on this device ?

Thanks.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@BoNydal wrote:

If the BT SH can't accept the EE BB Username what are the chances that other models will be able to accept it ?

As I said the ones in the shops are generic; ISP ones aren't intended to be. Look at ASUS, Billion, Netgear & TP-Link ADSL/VDSL Modem Routers.

You can't roll back EE's router firmware. There is no repository.

by BoNydal Investigator
Investigator

Hi again, thanks for previous advice.

One more question; when I install my new VDSL router I assume that I will require a username and password to gain connection to the EE network. I obtained a username from the Log tab of the Admin console but there was no password information. Where can I find the password value, please ?

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

If your BB Username is of the form PRODUCTIONHQNUN123456@fs. The corresponding pwd will look like HQNPASS123456. Simply replace the numbers in the password, with the ones found in your Username.

For the rest you'll find almost everything you need to set up your own router in Home Broadband settings  What's missing for Fibre is:

• VLAN ID = 101

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.