by iconibear Investigator
Investigator

EE Smart Hub is blocking internet access for my Pi-star radio dongle

My Pi-star radio dongle cannot connect to the internet via the EE smart hub, the EE shop suggested that it may be a port forwarding problem.

Connectivity via my previous ISP was without any difficulty, connectivity via my friends EE Data hotspot also works, can anyone assist please. 

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: EE Smart Hub is blocking internet access for my Pi-star radio dongle

What is this dongle plugged in to? How does it connect to the router?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

The dongle plugs into the laptop, both the dongle and the laptop connect to the router via WiFi, the dongle is unable to connect to the DStar radio network.

If I use a data sim hotspot instead of the router everything works flawlessly, the previous ISP service didn't have a problem. Something in the router is blocking the required signal.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thank, that's clearer. Now I know what I'm dealing with, not being Pi-Star conversant.

Are both the lappy & the dongle connecting to the same WiFi band of the router, i.e. are they both connecting to the 5 GHz band or both to the 2.4 Ghz band?

It could be that if the dongle is of older technology it only connects to 2.4 GHz while a newer lappy would connect to 5 GHz.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Both the dongle and the laptop connect to the same default wifi signal generated by the EE router.

The dongle (it is called a Zumspot) will not be old technology as they have only been on the market for the last two years.

The EE shop suggested required opening blocked ports, something about port forwarding but were unable to give me any information about it and suggested I try this forum.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Do other users want to access the dongle from outside unsolicited by you or the dongle? If not then port forwarding does not come into it. Anyway that has nowt to do with the dongle not being able to reach the Net of itself.

You're not telling me me which WiFi bands your devices are connecting to  The router has 2. 

Investigator

I am puzzled by your obsession with the wifi frequencies, it is whatever the router transmits, the frequency is not relevant, I have connectivity,  confirmed by the hotspot and the laptop, I can monitor the hotspot connection via its IP address, but, the router is blocking the internet connectivity of the hotspot, it is blocked by whatever security protocol is built into the router software, and, as I do not know what needs to be adjusted or opened up I was looking for that expertise on this forum, however it looks as if it may be easier to terminate the EE contract and go to an alternative ISP.

An external EE data wifi hotspot has worked perfectly, my friends Virgin Media home network allows me to connect and work flawlessly in his house and the gentleman in the EE shop was able to make everything function using his smartphone as the wifi source. Where would you consider the the problem is?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I would consider your issue lies with the way this particular router configs its WiFi bands. Such problems more often than not are. As I said earlier this router transmits 2 WiFi frequency bands & your devices connect to 1 or other them individually depending on various factors. It will useful to know which & might get us a bit further.

Yes, we know which other routers & hotspot work but the issue lies solely with this router not allowing your dongle to connect to the Net. So let's concentrate on that & get it fixed.

Login to the router & go to Home / My Network. There you will find a list of connected devices. At the bottom left of each entry is the LAN port or WiFi band the device is connected to. Which of the 2.4GHz or 5GHz bands are the lappy & the dongle connected to?

Investigator

Sorry for the delay responding to your questions but I work away most weeks and being home is usually a brief visit between jobs.

The dongle and the laptop I am using both connect to the 2.5GHz Wifi signal I do have another laptop which uses the 5GHz WiFi signal.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

On the Advanced Settings / Wireless Settings page, try these separately & in conjunction:

• Try changing Wireless Mode from 1 to 2.
  • Try changing the separate bands switch to On. That should also give you the full complement of channels.

Investigator

Thought I would let you know what eventually happened.

I got bored with your obsession regarding which frequency the WiFi was operationg on, as a qualified radio professional I did let you know that had nothing to do with the problem, it is the internal security settings of the router which you were unable to help me with.

I visited the EE shop, proved to them conclusivly that their router and subsequent replacement items were not suitable for the unit I am using. They agreed to terminate the contract. I obtained a Virgin media router which worked flawlessly out of the box.

I have advised my friends with similar units to avoid these routers.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.