by benmisell Investigator
Investigator

EE Smart Hub ethernet WAN

In my previous setup with the older bright box 2 I had it set up as using the ethernet connection from a pfsense box as it's wan. I can't find a similar option on the smart hub.

On the technical logs, in the WAN section there are messages saying "Detect and configure Ethernet port1 as LAN", so I suspect it may be possible.

Can anyone help me with this? A solution that involves firmware flashing is acceptable.

5 REPLIES 5
Investigator

Re: EE Smart Hub ethernet WAN

It is set in routing. That dectecting port as lan or maybe wan is still
bothering me, as something is obviously possible. Port 4 on the back is
also marked with a red WAN label above it. How is that enabled?
by Grand Master
Grand Master

You mean you set the BB2's Protocol to Routing or Bridging? You can't do that with the EE SH.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@benmisell wrote:
It is set in routing. That detecting port as lan or maybe wan is still
bothering me, as something is obviously possible. Port 4 on the back is
also marked with a red WAN label above it. How is that enabled?

Which router are you talking about there?

The red WAN port 4 of the BB2 is the 1 you use when you have a WAN connection to it over Ethernet. The same must go for the EE SH. So I suppose that's the way to get Routing with it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

I am talking about the smart hub not bright box. It's one of the yellow lan ports, but there is a red WAN label above it. I can't find a setting for ethernet wan in the admin interface though.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I expect it is enabled simply by the presence on a WAN signal on that port.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.