by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

EE Smart Hub Ethernet WAN?

Hi.

I am thinking of moving from BT to EE as there are dramatic savings to be had.

For various reasons, I need to use a Huawei BT Modem. Mainly, this is due to the fact that if I use a router anywhere else than the master socket, by connection speeds drop dramatically. (I am 1.2km from the FTTC cabinet).

Using a router sonnected via ethernet to the modem maintains the bext connection speed with the flexibility to place the router wherever I wish.

I found a discussion as to whether the new EE SH supports WAN connections (like the BB2 did) but no definitive answer.

Does the new SmartHub auto sense a modem? Is there a WAN port?

Thanks in advance.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: EE Smart Hub Ethernet WAN?

Yes, the EE SH is a rebadged BT Smart Hub 6B, the one designed for FTTP customers. Unlike the Smart Hub 6A, it has one of its yellow LAN connectors converted to a WAN port. This is identified with a Red sticker over port 4. However this does not prevent it being used just for FTTC.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Yes, the EE SH is a rebadged BT Smart Hub 6B, the one designed for FTTP customers. Unlike the Smart Hub 6A, it has one of its yellow LAN connectors converted to a WAN port. This is identified with a Red sticker over port 4. However this does not prevent it being used just for FTTC.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Thanks - just what was needed!

It is interesting that onmany routers that simply extending the connection cable to the vdsl socket (even with high quality cables), the throughput decreased dramatically - especially when 1.5km from the cabinet.

Using an OpenReach modem and ethernet cable to the router/hub solves all these issues.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.