by Grand Master
Grand Master

EE Router - Modem Mode

Posted in the open:

@Bagpipebaz wrote:

I am not (yet) and EE Broadband customer.

I currently use Virgin DSL 200MB.

SuperHub2 is set-up in modem mode and feeds into my ASUS RT-AC68U - I then have a 2ns ASUS RT-AC68U set up in Mesh mode, to extend my WiFi range.

Prior to contacting yourself, i have visited an EE Store and they have also spoken to Tech Support on behalf - Neither can confirm, that if i were to become a customer, whether or not the EE Router / homehub would have the Modem Mode feature, so that i can continue to run my ASUS Mesh.

Are you able to advise me or point me to some technical information, that confirms the feature being available?

Or if not, is there a proven workaround.

I am concious, that if i take the leap, cancel virgin, and move to EE, i may end up in a sticky situation, where i own 2 rather expensive Routers that are rendered useless.

All the best 

Bagpipebaz 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
3 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: EE Router - Modem Mode

@Bagpipebaz: You shouldn't need to run the router in modem mode. These Mesh systems are intended to work off any router, many of which can't do modem mode & their users wouldn't know how to anyway.

The EE routers don't have a modem mode but it can be simulated by disabling wireless & possibly DHCP.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Bagpipebaz
Visitor

Thanks @XRaySpeX

Appreciate the speedy response.

My apologies, I should have been a bit clearer.

The ASUS RT-AC68u runs its own "AIMesh" not the standard Mesh.

This means that the Primary Router has to be the ASUS one. (hence the requirment to ensure the ISP Router provided can be switched to Modem mode)

Once the ASUS Router is set-up, it creates it's "AIMesh" to the Secondary ASUS Router on the network.

You mention both "disabling wireless" and Possibly "DHCP", are these processes documented anywhere.

I'm no networking whizz, but can find my way around with some advise.

Thanks once again

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Probably not as it's an unusual requirement. But it should be fairly obvious. Just go to the Wireless & DHCP sections of the router & there should be a Disable button.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.