by JamesAnderson Investigator
Investigator

EE Fibre just 50m from my house, only 21MB offered but I have BT Fibre at 300MB

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: EE Fibre just 50m from my house, only 21MB offered but I have BT Fibre at 30

Thanks. Ah, all becomes clear & explains everything.

1. Your local cab. can only supply you with FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) & standard ADSL.
  2. EE doesn't sell FTTP at all anywhere but BT does.
  3. EE does sell the similar speed up to 330 Meg G.Fast which it calls Fibre Max but it's not available at your cab.
  4. EE also sells up to 80 Meg FTTC which it calls Fibre & Fibre Plus but it's not available at your cab. There are 2 other cabs nearby ("around the corner") that do this but you won't be moved to these.
  5. Therefore the only BB EE can & does offer you is the 17 Meg standard ADSL.
  6. The 31 Meg that EE also offers you is not landline BB but mobile BB with a 4GEE mobile router.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
16 REPLIES 16
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: EE Fibre just 50m from my house, only 21MB offered but I have BT Fibre at 30

@JamesAnderson Ok... So stick with your BT Fibre. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@JamesAnderson 21 Mbps would be VDSL2 and 300Mbps be g.fast which is two completely different technologies.

EE do offer VDSL2(FTTC) packages which are up to 76 Mbps and g.fast packages which offer up to 300 Mbps.

Investigator

So problem is BT £50 a month for 52MB service, point is we can get fibre to the home but EE don't offer this whereas it exists just around the corner literally. EE was about £30 a month for equivalent service and better deals still lumping in EE mobile contract. Problem with BT when we first moved here was that it stated fibre broadband was available, then it wasn't after we moved in only to find out it was available all along but a technical error on their system didn't show its availability until investigated. Can't help thinking this could be the same issue repeating itself and in fact it is available??!!

Investigator

Yes I know they are different, but EE only offering 21MB max speed because they say they don't offer fibre to my postcode, it is offered on their system to addresses just 50m away. We are on the same exchange and we do get fibre but only via BT which is much more expensive with a phone line we don't need.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@JamesAnderson 

If you check your line here what does it say ?

https://my.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

by Grand Master
Grand Master

When you run the BT Availability Checker that @David requested please post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number.

Also what does EE show you at https://broadband.ee.co.uk/home.do when you put your postcode & phone no in "Check availability"?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

David, thanks for the reply. I have never checked that specific link before to BT wholesale, interesting! However, it does confirm what I know I can get which is 330Mbps. As mentioned before the problem we had with BT after we arrived here (nearly 2 years ago) was that they said we could only get standard broadband until we started asking questions and they updated their network, as in updated it to reflect the infrastructure that was already in place. What EE have told me is that they haven't purchased the wholesale discount from BT to offer the fibre service at our postcode. I am just suspicious though as it is on offer just around the corner in the same village!

Investigator

Just to add, this is the detail of the availability checker
Premise environment Status

WBC FTTPUpto 330Upto 50--Available2 Stage-- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 17--10 to 19.5Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 17Up to 1.510 to 19.5Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 8--7 to 8Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date30-04-2019     
Investigator

and these are the results with the EE product availability checker:

Congratulations! The following packages are available at:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can get a maximum speed of 31Mb/s
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks.

Please post the Exchange & Cab above the BT Checker Table.

Would you mind posting a screenshot or Snipping Tool of the EE Availability results?

I think I see what's going on but would like to see these to confirm my ideas.

Investigator

OK this is what it states on the BT wholesale availability checker:

Telephone Number ??????????? on Exchange TREGONY is served by Cabinet 1

I will separately snip the EE results

Thanks

Investigator

and this is the result from EE:

EECheck.JPG

Investigator

Doesn't seem to like my screenshot, try again with copy/paste:

You can get a maximum speed of 31Mb/s
Recommended
£40
a month.
18 month contract
31Mb/s
avg
4GEE Home

4GEE Home provides internet through EE's 4G Network, so there's no need for a landline

• 31 Mb/s average download speed
  • Ultimate flexibility with pay monthly, pay as you go and 30 day plans
  • Data allowance range from 
     GB up to
     GB
  • Boost your pay monthly mobile data allowance each month
Recommended
4GEE Home
Plan details:
  • Just put your SIM card in and away you go
  • Ultimate flexibility with pay monthly, pay as you go and 30 day plans
  • 5GB extra data each month on your EE pay monthly plan
  • Boost your coverage with an external antenna

£21
a month.
18 month contract

8-17Mb/s
Standard Broadband

Great for small households with one or two devices

• 8-17 Mb/s estimated download speed range
  • 3 Mb/s minimum guaranteed speed
  • £21 a month for 18 months, then £32 a month
  • Boost your pay monthly mobile data allowance each month
  • Free set-up
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Thanks. Ah, all becomes clear & explains everything.

1. Your local cab. can only supply you with FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) & standard ADSL.
  2. EE doesn't sell FTTP at all anywhere but BT does.
  3. EE does sell the similar speed up to 330 Meg G.Fast which it calls Fibre Max but it's not available at your cab.
  4. EE also sells up to 80 Meg FTTC which it calls Fibre & Fibre Plus but it's not available at your cab. There are 2 other cabs nearby ("around the corner") that do this but you won't be moved to these.
  5. Therefore the only BB EE can & does offer you is the 17 Meg standard ADSL.
  6. The 31 Meg that EE also offers you is not landline BB but mobile BB with a 4GEE mobile router.

Investigator

Thanks for reply, that clears that up a shame I can't get the service but at least I understand why technically that is impossible at the moment.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.