by Luke300586 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

EE Broadband estimated speed...

Hi all,

I have recently took out EE standard broadband and have a estimated speed of 0mb/s. 

My house is a recent referbishment from one dwelling made into four houses.

The line has been fitted from a diffrent box since the referbishment started - sadly the old box has fibre and the one it is now coming from is in the process of being upgraded.

An Openreach engineer is coming out in a few days to connect the new line. 

so my question is; could it be saying 0mb/s as their has never been any use of the line? or will i be stuck with poor speeds?

Thanks. 

Thanks. 

14 REPLIES 14
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: EE Broadband estimated speed...

BT phone sockets may be used equally for ADSL BB or Fibre. It makes no difference. 

Where are you getting this 0 Megs estimate from?

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 16.47.00.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You should get close to 9 Meg if your home wiring is good. There's no history for that property, so someone (EE?) is giving you a nonsense estimate. However BT have a good idea of the line length & so can give you a more realistic estimate. At the end of the day you'll only get the speeds that your line is capable of.

When you get your BB up-&-running please post you full router stats. I can tell from that a far more accurate estimate & whether you're getting what you should.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Thanks for this. with regards to fibre broadband this is what Openreach is saying - do you feel there is a chance of getting fibre through EE in the near future?Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 11.05.24.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Not until OR say you can at which time VDSL will appear at the top of that BT Availability Checker table you posted earlier.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I would ask BT why the premises and the postcode had a fibre enabled cabinet connection and now you are about to be connected to a non-fibre enabled cabinet.  The logic would be to connect to the best enabled cabinet.... They don't normally swap cabinets as the copper infrastructure is laid years ago... It is  very rare for premises to even have a choice of two lots of copper coming near their house.   If it is new infrastructure being put in the road then that doesn't make sense as Openreach don't lay new copper as a rule.

Established Contributor

i know before the building was split into four houses it came out of a diffrent cabinet what had accessable fibre but now it has gone to a diffrent cabinet. 

My router still has not arrived prier to my appointment on 10/07/18, i have rang EE and they said that they are still awaiting feedback from Openreach something around the new line team so it looks like its going to be a even longer wait and maybe into early August!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Luke300586  My router turned up on Friday for a Monday fitting.  

Established Contributor

Ive spoken to EE this morning who have spoken to Openreach.

He said that Openreach will have an update on this coming Wednesday.

I asked the EE advisor what he feels it may be and he was saying that the builders would of put the cables in and maybe they are waiting for Openreach to confirm the work as this may have not been done yet?

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The builders only put duct and cables in on the site. The choice of cabinet is Openreach's call.  Changing cabinets is almost never done, as all their copper cables are laid in the road to every house.  They'll not have duplicate infrastructure to those houses leading from a second cabinet... and if they did, it would have fibre to the houses.   They certainly wouldn't look to install new lines that link to a cabinet that is not fibre-enabled when there is existing infrastructure to a fibre cab.

Maybe, just maybe, this is a very rare occurance where your property is on a postcode that stradles two cabinets' catchment (copper coming from different directions) and Openreach have mistakenly chosen the wrong cab. In exceptional circumstances they might run to a different cab... but to do so to a poor cab. is not rational.

If you go to the BT ADSL checker you can search by postcode (and adjacent postcodes) and check all the addresses in that postcode and see who is on what cabinet. That may give a clue as to the lie of copper.

Established Contributor

Here is the Openreach report from when it used to be a public house prier to it being referbished into four houses. it was coming out of cabinet 2 and now the houses are coming out of cabinet 1.

I just hope that i get a clearer picture once Openreach comes back to EE.

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 10.57.53.png

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

How do you know that Cab 2 was serving the pub?  When was that frame grab taken?  If the line was redundant then it is presumably still sitting in the ground outside the building.  It would make total sense to re-instate that line.   

Do you know the number and locations of the 2 cabs?  Do you know which neighbours are on each?  Use this   https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Don't use BT's retail site.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, use the BT Wholesale Phone or Address Checker, not the BT OR Fibre Checker. It shows if the cab is fibre enabled, not just the exchange as a whole.

Established Contributor

BT told me that the lines have changed,

I took the screenshot prior to posting it.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.