by mattp2k15 Investigator
Investigator

EE Broadband and various devices (Including Sky Q)

Hi there,

I'm not sure if I'm posting on the right place, but I was after some advice please? 

We currently have our home Broadband with BT, currently at a speed at 36Mb/s, which we're happy to stick to, but other than the excessive monthly cost we're paying BT, (just for the Broadband and Evening/Weekend Calls - the latter we could live without),  we've noticed our BT Hub can only cope with a certain number of Devices. It has been an issue since we had Sky Q put in earlier this year. It certainly got overloaded last night with the 3 Sky Q Boxes (2 of which are mini), our printer, 3 ipads, 5 Mobile Phones, 2 Smart TV's and a PS4. Not to mention my works laptop as I had to switch on last night. Having to run up and down the stairs to try and get the Sky Q Mini Boxes working again, was an absolute pain last night.

We're thinking of switching to EE Fibre Broadband, with the same speed of 36Mb/s, but also a much reduced monthly cost by over £30 per month.  This does not include free Evening/Weekend calls.  Before making any commitments I was wondering if we would still have the same issues that we currently have now?  Would the EE fibre broadband box, be overloaded, like our BT Hub is at the moment?

Any help will be really appreciated. I do apologise if I'm not the world's most techy person.

Thanks

Matt

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: EE Broadband and various devices (Including Sky Q)

Which BT Hub do you have?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@mattp2k15  It’s not the router it’s the amount of devices connected to it all wanting that 36Mbps of internet.  You’ve got to many devices connected at the same time for such a small connection.    You wouldn’t get anything better no matter who was your IPS was with a connection speed like that.  You need to up it or reduce the amount of devices at the same time.  It’s that simple.  

Investigator

Hi XRaySpeX, we currently have a BT Hub 3.

Investigator

@Chris_B, I thought it might be because of the amount of devices. The fastest available speed, where we live, goes up to 62Mb/s.  Would that improve things a little, or would I need to reduce the amount of devices?

Thanks

Matt

by Grand Master
Grand Master

With EE Fibre you'll be given a EE Smart Hub which is a badge-engineered BT SH Type 6B, far superior to the BT HH3, which is now rather outdated,

You'll be getting the same speeds from EE as from BT. It's the same BB network. You can't get faster otherwise your speed would be hitting BT's 55 Meg cap.

But just to check that, what does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Basically you'll be getting much the same BB from EE as from BT but much cheaper. I think your problem is trying to run too many greedy devices at once over a limited bandwidth.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@mattp2k15   You’ll notice a difference if you increase it for sure.  The Sky Q boxes will probably be the biggest issue especially if your streaming with them ie Netflix or the such.     But isn’t it easier and cheaper just to turn the devices off that are not being use or at least the WiFi of that device.  

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @mattp2k15 

You want to consider using ethernet (power line adapters) for high demand items such as the TV's and the PS4, especially given the traffic you have, if they are all on WiFi.

You should also consider a new router, something more robust which can handle larger capacity. To me I would do this before swapping provider.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.