by Shadow_Tail Contributor
Contributor

EE Broadband Router Modem mode

Hello, I maybe joining  EE broadband but before I do anything, I want to find out if the EE Broadband Router has a modem mode. The reason I ask this is because I am using Google Wifi so I won't be using the EE router as a wifi access point only (as a modem) to receive Internet access.

Right now with my current provider I set the router modem mode (which has disabled all other ethernet port), plug the Google Wifi in the 1st ethernet port (Modem port) and i'm done. The current provider's router is no longer used except to use the Internet.

How will I configure the EE router to modem mode if it's possible and would I have to do anything else with it?

Thank you for the help.

13 REPLIES 13
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: EE Broadband Router Modem mode

Which BB are you after? ADSL or Fibre? EE issues diff routers for each.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

They are offering me 300mbps fibre. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, EE's Fibre Max! You need & get a separate G-Fast modem for that. So you can connect your Whole Home WiFi straight to the modem & do away with the EE router.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

Sorry I don't fully understand. EE gives me a G-fast router for the house hold and I no longer use EE's router. So does this G-fast have modem mode, because I'll be using Google wifi.

Also is EE fibre actual fibre, meaning fibre to the home?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm not aware of a G-Fast router. You sure it's not just a modem? What's it look like? How many bits of kit did EE & BT give you between them?

All EE's Fibre is FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet). The rest is your ordinary copper phone line.

Contributor

They haven't given me anything yet, I just need to make sure I can use my Google wi-fi as an access point and EE router as a model.

Is the copper fast how much speed will I lose?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I've already told you that you plug it into the G-Fast modem you will be given & ignore the EE router you are given. There is no such thing as a G-Fast router. You have misunderstood the kit involved.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Contributor

Sorry you did say modem not router. The is modem for example on the wall and then connected to the router?  I called EE and they told me the Fibre Max router cannot do modem mode, (I didn't mention G-fast modem) so I am getting two different answers.

This what you wanted? (I just removed my address)

Exchange STANMORE is served by Cabinet 4

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability Date  High Low High Low      Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date Observed SpeedsVDSLOther Offerings     Availability Date 

VDSL Range A (Clean)39257.85.422.4Available-- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)37.120.67.7516.3Available-- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available-- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 5--3 to 7.5Available-- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 5Up to 13 to 7.5Available-- 
ADSL MaxUp to 4--2.5 to 7Available-- 
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available-- 
Fixed Rate1----Available-- 
VDSL Multicast------Available-- 
ADSL Multicast------Available-- 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The box on the wall is not a modem but just a phone socket used for phones & nearly all BB if you have it.

With EE Fibre Max (known generally as G-Fast) you are sent 2 pieces of kit:

1. A G-Fast modem which plugs into the phone socket. All it does is turn the electrical "noise" on the line into a digital signal.
  2. A VDSL modem/router which plugs into the G-Fast modem. It contains its own modem within itself but it is useless for G-Fast as it only works on VDSL. Hence why you need a separate G-Fast modem.

The EE agent & I are talking about diff things. Hence why you are getting diff answers. He was right in saying the router has no modem mode as you only asked him about the router & not the modem. But as I keep telling you you won't be using the router.

Now here's the mystery ...

There is no G-Fast at your cab. Are you sure EE offered you "up to 300 Meg" Fibre Max? As far as I can tell there is no G-Fast anywhere in Stanmore.

Contributor

Okay, I'm begining to understand it all now. 

Yes, the the person I spoke to on the phone said I can get 300mbps Fibre. Maybe it was a mistake on his end.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

OK, I've checked it now. EE are not offering you their "Up to 300 Meg" Fibre Max. Indeed they can't even offer you their Fibre Plus. All they have for you is their "Up to 40 Meg" Fibre BB which ties in with the BTw results of an estimated max of 39 Megs on VDSL Range A. Did you not Check Availability online at https://shop.ee.co.uk/broadband rather than, or as well as, relying on a vague phone call?

This puts a completely diff complexion on your enquiry & what we've discussed so far.

You will not get a separate modem from EE but just their normal ADSL/VDSL modem/router. It is true that this router has no explicit Modem-Only mode but I believe it can faked/simulated. I hope to test it later today.

Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I have checked but a while back and they didn't offer it. So when I was told I can get fibre I thought they now offered it. So I came here to check if EE router did modem, didn't think to check it again. I guess just an error on their on part.

Alright but now I know only fibre is the only one that can do it. I'll check again sometime next year to see if they have fibre in my area. 

Thanks for everything.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, you can still do it now with any router by connecting the 1st node of your Google Wi-Fi Whole Home System to the router.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.