by frustrated2019 Investigator
Investigator

EE Broadband Issues - No internet for a week!

Hello, 

I am having an issue that seems popular on this forum but EE helpdesk seems to think it is very rare. Please see the link below for a description of the exact issue that someone else posted.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-home-phone/Router-won-t-authenticate-with-exchange/td-p/6922...

I am very frustrated with EE at this point and need to leave once my contract is up or before if possible. I have been with EE since 2011 and we have had some issues but nothing as bad as this. I am sick of being passed around EE and Bt and being on the phone for hours and staying home for engineer and still getting no where.

The router internet light suddenly started flashing orange on Wednesday night. I rang helpdesk and they asked me to go into the router control page. We saw that the username had changed to readytoconnect@fs. They asked me to change it back to my EE username and password and save. I did this but when the router restarts, it defaults back to readytoconnect.

They booked an engineer appointment and posted us a new router. The issue persists with the new router. Username still defaults to readytoconnect.

Phone line works fine, we have had 2 visits from different openreach engineers who have said all is working well from the BT side of things. The engineers were thorough and the one from today spent almost 3 hours trying to get things working.

How can this issue be fixed and why is EE acting like it is a rare issue when there have been other cases. I work from home and this has been a nightmare for me! I am so stressed out. How long more will we be without?

Please help!!

Thank you.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Investigator
Solution

Re: EE Broadband Issues - No internet for a week!

Hi @XRaySpeX,

Thank you for your support! The issue has just been fixed by the engineer from BT. Apparently a lift and shift was required. The ports were broken or something like that? Anyway, I am hoping it isnt too soon to celebrate but the internet is working at this moment thankfully 🙂

15 REPLIES 15
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@frustrated2019: Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

What does it say after you log into the router:

• For a BrightBox: in the Internet section on the initial Status page or
  • For a Smart Hub: on the Advanced Settings / Broadband / Internet page?

Obscure your names in the BB Username but post the 1st 2 parts of the IP addy. This will tell us at which stage EE have got to.

Is this for ADSL BB or Fibre? Which router, BrightBox 1 or 2 or Smart Hub?

Does the phone work? Do you get a dial tone? Does it announce your correct no. when you dial 1470 17070?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

hi @XRaySpeX thank you so much for replying. 

the old router was a bright box. The new one they sent is a smart hub.

I am not sure what you mean about obscuring BB username but posting 1st parts of the IP addy. Where do I get this information? My usual username is the old school usernameXX.orangehome.co.uk@fs.

This is a Fibre broadband on Smarthub. We had same issue on Brightbox not sure if 1 or 2. The one with 4 lights.

The phone works fine and reads out the correct landline number.

Here is the Advanced settings/broadband/internet page: EE helpdesk appear to have changed the username from readytoconnect to bt_test_user@fs but even with that still no internet. The other Bt one that has something like startup_domain also did nothing.

IMG_1932.JPG

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks. Now put in your own orangehome.co.uk BB Username & Pwd and Save it. Let it try to connect for a 10 mins & then post that page again, obscuring your name part in the BB Username.

It should not change back to readytoconnect@fs if you put some other BB Username in & don't factory reset.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Hi @XRaySpeX,

I have tried what you said. I changed my username and password as can be seen in the image below. When I select save, there is message that comes up as changes saved.

IMG_1933.JPGUsername Changed

Nothing happens after the changes saved messaged. I then clicked connect that can be seen next to connection status and it comes back with a disconnected message and the used name reverted back to this:

IMG_1934.JPG

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Oh, I didn't think it could do that. It can't be EE as you are not connected to them. It must be the BT backhaul network between you & EE that is doing that.

Do you still have the Brightbox you had before you got this EE SH? Did you have Fibre when you had it? If so, it will be a Brightbox 2. If so, can you put it back in & try with that, doing what you just did with the SH. The Brightbox 2 gives out more useful info on its Status page.

I can only assume that this is just like that other thread you posted & your connection to the Net has been broken at the point where BT hand you off onto the EE network. As a result EE cannot remote config your router to your correct BB username & pwd (which you can circumvent manually) and EE cannot authenticate you to access the Net.

Oh, this type of fault is rare & is down to BT.

Investigator

EDITED: Noticed I posted some sensitive information.

It was fibre on the Brightbox. I connected the old router and changed the username to my normal one along with the password. still not working. took a lot of pictures for you incase they mean anything. 

IMG_1936.JPGIMG_1939.JPG

How was the issue on the other one resolved? who is responsible for fixing this issue? BT or EE and how come 3 BT engineers insist there is no issue? 

How do you advice I proceed as EE at this point has told me they dont know what to do and will pass on to the quality team who I have not heard from.

Thank you.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, that's much more informative. As you can see you have a good 80/20 Meg BB connection to the cab. It's the network beyond that that is failing.

When you changed the BB Username to your own is it no longer changing it back to something else?

Can you post the initial Status page Internet section when you have your own BB Username set?

Ouch! You ditched the most useful Status page :(.

FYI: You'd better off using the BB2 in future instead of the SH.

Investigator

Sorry, here they are again with the details blanked out. 

The username appears to have stopped reverting to readytoconnect However nothing happens when I click connect as can be seen in the 3rd picture. It appears to be exact as the pre-connect picture (second one).

IMG_1940.JPGIMG_1941.JPGIMG_1942.JPG

Investigator

Hi @XRaySpeX,

would this issue persist if I changed from EE? Everything is on stand still at the moment. EE has no proposed solution and we dont even have an engineer booked or anything.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Still using the Brightbox 2 put readytoconnect@fs back as the BB username & Connect. Wait 10 mins.

Does it set the BB Username to:

1. Your correct Orangehome.co.uk username,
  2. or leave it as readytoconnect@fs 
  3. or something else? What?

Does it make a full connection?

Investigator

Hi @XRaySpeX

I changed the username to readytoconnect@fs and clicked connect and nothing happened. I waited 10 minutes and still nothing happened. The username however stayed as readytoconnect@fs.

EE has assured me that they are sending a "senior" BT engineer tomorrrow who should be able to investigate the issue better and fix it. 

I am of course very sceptical but I am hoping they can fix it. Any advice as to what to say to the engineer or pointers for them regarding how to solve this issue?

Thank you so much for your help so far.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Whatever the problem is, it is fixable.

As far as I can see the issue lies with EE. They have failed to enter your creds on:

1. Their remote config server which is supposed to set up your router when it has readytoconnect@fs . That's why it stays at readytoconnect@fs on the BB2.
  2. Their authentication server, when you have put your own creds in (1 is not needed in this case). That's why you get BB but no connection to the Net.

I don't quite understand why the SH is putting those "bt" usernames in but perhaps it's something it does as it's really a BT router.

Investigator

Hmmm...now I am even more worried. If it is an EE issue, then the senior BT person coming is just wasting their time?

I mentioned this authentication issue to EE and they said they have checked and that all is set up on their side and this isnt the problem.

I was hoping the issue would be solved tomorrow but now I am very worried as EE appear to think it is down to BT.

If I change providers do you think this issue will go away?

Thank you.

Investigator
Solution

Hi @XRaySpeX,

Thank you for your support! The issue has just been fixed by the engineer from BT. Apparently a lift and shift was required. The ports were broken or something like that? Anyway, I am hoping it isnt too soon to celebrate but the internet is working at this moment thankfully 🙂

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.