by zbylo Investigator
Investigator

EE Bright Box 2 and VPN

Hello
I have EE Bright Box 2, everything works fine, but I want to install it on the VPN router. Does anyone have a VPN configured like this. Is it possible in the EE network.

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: EE Bright Box 2 and VPN

I don't understand installing 1 router on another router? Do you mean connecting them together? I thought with VPN you install a VPN client on a PC.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by zbylo Investigator
Investigator

I do not want to install a second router. I am asking if it is possible to program the software on the EE router so that all traffic from the internal network passes through the router on which the VPN would be. I do not want to connect separately laptop, desktop computer, xbox, playstation, android phone, android tablet and smart tv.
That's why I ask if the EE network allows for VPN and whether it can be done on the EE router.
If not, is it possible to use another manufacturer's router that supports VPN and connect to the EE network.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Still don't understand. The VPN router is a 2nd router.

Are you asking whether it is possible to replace the Brightbox router by your VPN router? I see no reason why not providing it has all the usual router functions & includes an integrated VDSL modem.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hello @zbylo no you can not (legally) install VPN software or edit the software of a BB2 router. You can only install the VPN software on a PC or laptop etc and manage it through that.

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@zbylo  If you “can” install customer firmware on the router you will probably be voiding any warranty on the router. Also the router is a device that's on loan to you and it's not actually yours to keep. Also any updates that EE push out to the router could possibly fail or cause the router to fail completely.   

by zbylo Investigator
Investigator

Thank you all for the info.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.