Highlighted
by JimBry Investigator
Investigator

Different Modem/Router

I have recently transferred from BT 'Infinity2' (FTTC) to EE Broadband (FTTC).

EE Have provided me with a Smart Hub and it was easy to install on my network and runs fine.

However, it is not very resilient to strong RF fields and drops connection whenever I have my radio transmitting apparatus running.

I have seen lots of talk on this community about using other Modem/Routers. However, I have not seen anything here that is actually known to work.

My BT system comprised of a BT Openreach (Huawei HG612) modem which was fed into a BT Home Hub 4r and this system worked fine in the presence of the transmitters.

I have tried configuing the HH 4r to work with the Huawei modem for EE but just cannot get it to connect - I understand from threads on this forum that the HG612 needs no changes from when I had it working with BT - I just enter my Broadband user name and password into the HH4r settings.

I then tried the HH4r without the HG612 but it still will not connect to EE broadband.

Can anyone tell me how to get this up and running, or, otherwise, tell me of a router model that I can purchase that will connect to EE?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by JimBry Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Re: Different Modem/Router

XRaySpeX - Had another think about this and decided to try the EE Smart Hub behind the HG612 via the WAN port of the EE Smart Hub.

The HG612 synced to the DSL but nothing out of the EE Smart Hub. tried it many times until I realised that you actually had to enable the WAN port from within the EE SH menus!

Not sure why they choose to do that.

Everything working fine now - even with the radio transmitters operating!

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

BT HHs won't work on EE cuz the form of BB Username is incompatible.

You don't need a separate modem. Any generic VDSL/ADSL Modem/Router will do. Asus, Billion & Netgear are well thought of.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by JimBry Investigator
Investigator

OK I will se what I can pick tomorrow - thanks for that XRay

If I were to purchase one of those modem/Routers, could I still put it behind the HG612 ?

The reason I ask is that I know the HG612 will not disconnect when the transmitters are running (The RF gets in on the DSL cable from the phone line).

Jim

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

If you want to keep using an OR Fibre modem then only buy a Router only version. Often model names for Modem/Routers are something like DSL-xxxxxx while for Routers only are like RT-xxxxxx .

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by JimBry Investigator
Investigator
Solution

XRaySpeX - Had another think about this and decided to try the EE Smart Hub behind the HG612 via the WAN port of the EE Smart Hub.

The HG612 synced to the DSL but nothing out of the EE Smart Hub. tried it many times until I realised that you actually had to enable the WAN port from within the EE SH menus!

Not sure why they choose to do that.

Everything working fine now - even with the radio transmitters operating!

Thanks!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Nice! Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & you've found a satisfactory set-up..

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.