by tdg Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Deteriorating download speed

I have fibre plus and usually got around around 51mbs at first which deteriorated to around 43mbs, but now i'm synched at 32mbs with a noise margin around 6.7db and line attenuation of 18.9db.  I was also getting millions of Fast path FEC over time especially on the upstream but recently on the downstream as well.  I am assuming that this has caused my synch speed to be reduced.  I am wondering if my modem needs replacing since it is over two years old(bright box2) or should I report a possible line fault?  I have a BT filtered faceplate.  Has anyone seen these symptoms?

13 REPLIES 13
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Deteriorating download speed

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the steps and provide the data as requested in the Need Help with Your Home Broadband Speed or Connection? sticky. This will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Configured Current
Line Status -- UP
Link Type -- Fast Path
Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION
Upstream 8761 (Kbps)
Downstream 32400 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 5.9 (dB) 6.7 (dB)
Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 18.9 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 5.2 (dBm) 12.8 (dBm)
Fast Path FEC Correction 311636 537
Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- --
Fast Path CRC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error -- --
Loss Of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error -- --
Error Seconds 0 0
STATISTICS
Received Data 123423 (Kbits)
Transmitted Data 87824 (Kbits)

Exchange;

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WWILFR

Filtered faceplate; minimal noise on line;  uptime 20 min since last reboot.

by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @tdg

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Thanks for getting back to us with your results, I'm sure @XRaySpeX will be on a little later to help you with this.

Chris 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Are those stats from the test socket?

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

It's ok.  I rang the EE broadband fault line.   Apparently BT checkers claim the line was within the impacted range at the moment.  My ip profile was reduced to 30mbs by the DLM since the line was generating excessive FECs.  So my guess is the overhead copper to my house has deteriorated and they won't do anything until it fails.  So I guess I'll have to downgrade to standard 38mbs fibre.

Established Contributor

Out of interest this is what the availability checker gives for my number

--------------------------------------------------------

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 73 54.9 20 14.1 48 Available -- -- -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 58 32.9 17.2 7.7 26.3 Available -- -- -- --
Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 12.5 -- 9 to 16 Available -- -- -- --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 12.5 Up to 1.5 9 to 16 Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available -- -- -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --
Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --
Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap N
VRI N
NTEFaceplate N
Last Test Date 12-05-2017

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@tdg wrote:

Bridge Tap N

says you are not on an Impacted line.

Established Contributor

I only got into the VDSL Range A clean range when they reduced my noise margin to 3db when I got 56mbs.  I started off at 51mbs two years ago so I am assuming its to do with the copper line conditions as it's an and/or with the bridge tap and copper line conditions.

Established Contributor

I rang again today and was told there were no errors and the sync rate was within acceptable range of 21.01 and 30.01.  

When I mentioned that the BT diagnostic showed an IP profile of 30.01Mbps and asked if it could be reset, I was told that it didn't apply to fibre products and it would always sync to the best possible rate.  Anyway, they agreed to regrade me to 38Mbps fibre for £10 per month.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Something's fishy here! That estimated range is even below the Impacted line range, when you have a Clean line :(.

Established Contributor

Ironically, I put my details into the BT commercial broadband availability checker and got an available range of 55 - 73Mbps with a minimum speed guarantee of 48Mbps which I was achieving 4 months ago with EE.  Go figure!  Pity I'm in an 18month contract.

Established Contributor

After doing some research I'm thinking that my line might be suffering from "crosstalk" which would explain a fairly constant line attenuation and gradually deteriorating noise margin.  

But because the line works fine and within the acceptable ranges as reported by BT I can only wait until the sync speed drops below the impacted handback threshold before they will look into it.

In the meantime maybe BT should identify cabinets that are susceptible to crosstalk and not offer plus/max fibre options.

by
EE Community Support Team

Thank you for sharing @tdg

I hope this is resolved as soon as possible.

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.