by Oshinoka Investigator
Investigator

DSL Connection dropping unpredictably

Hello All,

I've been having some issues with my internet connection for the past 4 months or so now. I've run out of ideas, so hoping you can help me out.

I have an issue where the DSL connection seems to drop for a few minutes at a time. This can happen once a day or upwards of 30 times a day. It doesn't seem to occur at any particular time or under any particular conditions. It has happened at 1am, it's happened at 3pm, light, dark, dry, wet and so on. Data throughput doesn't seem to impact when this happens. I've had the connection pinned at near 100% no issues and have had it drop with basically no traffic at all.

Occasionally, I'll get very bad packet loss (40%+), then it will stabilise for a few minutes before going back to dropping packets, however, it doesn't completely drop.

I use my own equipment, not the provided EE BB2 as I "need" the extra control I get from a more open router and modem. I mainly use a Draytek Vigor 130 Modem and a Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway, but as the connection was dropping, I decided to buy a Netgear DM200 modem to see if it helped the issues, which it didn't. I also tested with an Asus RT-AC68U connected to the Draytek Vigor, but get the same issue there as well.

For the sake of testing, I have tried the EE BB2 a few times (it requires me to disable part of the network because of how it's setup, so I'd rather not) but It seems to have the same issue as the others.

I've recently bought a new ADSL filter and ran the Draytek and Ubiquiti Gateway setup off the test socket for a while but saw the same problem.

I've now plugged in the BB2 to the ADSL filter running off the test socket to see how it does, but that was only about an hour ago, so haven't had long enough to confirm yet.

A while ago, we had a line fault detected that caused DLM to assign the connection about 12Mbps down and 3Mbps up. That was resolved and the line went back up, but not to what it was previously. I currently have a 80down/20up plan. Prior to the line fault, I got a consistent 70Mbps+ down and 18Mbps+ up connection. Now, it's around 50down and 10up.

The engineer that came out did some work on the cabinet (around 50-100m away from the house), the telephone pole and replaced the previous socket with a 5C with MK4 faceplate.

I don't know if I'm just jumping to conclusions, but I feel like these drops started to occur shortly after the engineer visit, or at least it's the only thing I think could have started causing them.

I've talked to EE before, which results in being told to plug in the BB2 (understandable). The connection will often come back up after a reboot, but that's because the DSL isn't hard dropping for long as far as I can tell, the down time is just how long it takes for the modem to sync up again as far as I can tell. When the connection comes back up, EE say it's fine, but it will end up dropping again later. When it does drop, it will come back up without a reboot. As I cannot trigger it, it's difficult to get EE to do much about it because they just see the line being up at the time of testing.

Please see the below stats from the BB2. As mentioned before, it hasn't been connected for long as I've only just plugged it in for testing after getting home from work.

Apologies for the long winded post, I hope you can help!

I'm connected to the Newton Wisbech exchange.

Time Connected

00:48:22

DSL Stats.PNGspeed test.png

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: DSL Connection dropping unpredictably

It looks like the DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to past errors on your line, at the top of the up to 49 Meg band of these VDSL Banded Profiles, altho' you now seem to have no significant errors but it hasn't been running long enough to tell. Usually you need to give the DLM time to relent & remove any banding. If your sync speed at the test socket remains stuck at the same speed for 10 days you should ask EE to investigate the underlying fault. If a fault is found and fixed then the OR engineer may request a DLM reset. However should significant errors persist the DLM will reapply banding.

I should think this occurred when that previous line error was fixed but the OR eng failed to reset the DLM. So maybe you could call EE now and ask for the DLM to be reset as it wasn't when it should have been.

Can you continue running the BB2 at the test socket for a coupla days & the repost the full router stats + 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Oshinoka Investigator
Investigator

I can leave it running for a while, yeah.

Not sure if the DLM auto-reset would be affected by running a router other than the BB2.

I have noticed that since plugging in the BB2, it's not dropping any packets. I find that with the Draytek and USG setup, it drops a single packet every now and then but it's not doing that at all with the BB2.

The only other idea I'd have in terms of possible hardware issues would be to do with the chips used in the modems. I did read something that suggested that the Draytek and Netgear DM200 both use Broadcom chips in them which can cause them not to play nice with certain infrastructure on BT's network. Someone did suggest going for a Huawei HG612 as it uses a different chip to the other two and plays nicer.

Still, I did have a couple of periods of the Draytek being completely solid for a few days before the connection started dropping again.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks!

BB & the DLM don't care which modem/router (not just "modem" & commonly called just "router") you are using as long as it is DSL compatible.

I wouldn't bother trying to match chips in the router with the DSLAM. It's rather obscure & arcane. Do you even know those in your cab? Which exchange? Which cab?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Oshinoka Investigator
Investigator

I'm on cab 2 at the Newton Wisbech exchange, which is a Huawei cab.

Honestly not sure if it will make a difference, but there's not a lot more I can think of in the event the BB2 is okay on the test socket by the Draytek is not.

They're about £20, so if the BB2 remains stable on the test socket, I may buy one to see if it works.

by Oshinoka Investigator
Investigator

Just had the first drop on the BB2 connected to the test socket. Dropped at around 22:43:00 for 5 minutes or so. Exactly the same as what I see with the Draytek and USG.

Interestingly, from the router log it seems like the router actually restarted.

"22:51:02, 28 Feb. WAN link up (FIBRE)
22:49:47, 28 Feb. admin login success from 10.10.10.100
22:49:28, 28 Feb. admin timeout from 10.10.10.100
22:49:28, 28 Feb. admin timeout from 10.10.10.100
22:49:24, 28 Feb. System up, firmware version: v0.05.01.0001-OT (Tue Oct 23 16:21:35 2018)
22:48:43, 28 Feb. System start
22:39:33, 28 Feb. Intelligent Wireless Channel Change to 11 (2.4 GHz) Auto Scan - Low Traffic Mode
22:39:29, 28 Feb. Intelligent Wireless Channel Change to 36(80MHz) (5 GHz) Auto Scan - Low Traffic Mode"

For what it's worth, I have a switch and the USG connected to the same extension lead and neither lost power or rebooted.

Is it possible for the system to be forced to reboot by the DSL connection?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.