by Dave345435 Contributor
Contributor

DNS Loopback stopped working

I have an issue where I have a website hosted at home and this works via dynamic DNS.

It works great with port forwarding

There is a known issue where if you try and access this from within your network then you get redirected to the router logon page - the same issue as:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Final-Archive/EE-bright-box-accessing-public-IP-from-inside-network-di...

This is sometimes called DNS relay or loopback

The thing is I fixed this issue a couple of years ago and it has been working fine and then suddenly 2 days ago it just stopped working.  I can't remember where I went to in the control panel to fix this and have looked all through it and can't find anything.

Any ideas?

12 REPLIES 12
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: DNS Loopback stopped working

As said in that thread when you address your own public IP from within your own LAN as if it is outgoing the router intercepts it realising it is its own IP & brings up its own GUI. Whereas when it's incoming it gets redirected to your server by port forwarding.

What port is your server running on? They changing it to a port other than 80.

Or when addressing your server from your LAN, address it by its internal LAN IP instead of its public IP.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

Yep understand what you are saying.

However I have already solved this problem about 2 years ago.  It has been working fine for 2 years then suddenly stopped.

The thing is I can't remember how I fixed it but I did.

I am running sites on port 80 and 443 and also experience the same issue with RDP.

Again this is fixable, it is called DNS relay or lookback sometimes and many routers have options for this.  For example check out step 6 here for a different router - just an example

http://www.crabtree-consulting.com/port-forwarding-and-nat-loopback-on-zyxel-usg20/

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Could you have put it in your Hosts file as suggested in that thread but 2 days got a new PC with its default Hosts file? It seems to me that the only way to address your server from within your LAN is via its internal LAN IP & this is 1 way of doing that.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

No same pc and in fact I have several pcs and devices.  no hosts file usage at all

Contributor

I got an email from EE asking me to put a comment if I haven't solved this problem yet, so here is that comment...

by
EE Community Support Team

Have you spoken to our broadband gurus, @Dave345435?

Unless @XRaySpeX or any other user have any other suggestions, I'd recommend giving them a call. 🙂

Chris

Contributor

Yes look up in the thread, lots of help offered from Dave

This really is most weird.  So many devices in my home - 2 pcs, 2 laptops, 2 servers, 2 phones, 1 ipad all used to work and now don't suddenly one day not so long ago.

A tip though for those wanting to just check that sites are up, I used a free VPN plugin which I can switch on and then sites work inside my network as I am going out and in again

by Grand Master
Grand Master

From Dave?

Contributor

Yes just scroll up and you can see it all yes?

Contributor

Woke up this morning and all devices working ok again!

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for the update @Dave345435 🙂

James

Contributor

Had a brief power cut last night.  Woke up this morning and this stopped working again!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.