by Leedsmedic Investigator
Investigator

Connection regularly drops out

Hello

I have been with EE broadband for approaching a month and have been having problems since it came on line.

Initially it seemed to be a WiFi issue with regular drop outs of about 1 minutes occuring every 10 minutes or so with the devices physically wired up working fine. This was solved by disabling the WiFi on the Bright box and connecting a TP link N300.

It has been replaced with longer but much less frequent dop outs. I only notice them once or twice a day (although Sonos has occasionally been stopping so they may be more frequent) but they last usually at least a good 10 minutews during which there is no internet connection whatsoever regardless of how the device is connected to the modem.

Below are the DSK status for the modem running plugged into the normal socket and the test socket respectively.

Read more

Configured

Current

Line Status

Link Type

Operation Mode

--

UP

--

Fast Path

Automatic

G.992.5 (ADSL2+)

Data Rate Information

Upstream                                 

Downstream 

1039 (Kbps)

9879 (Kbps)

Defect/Failure Indication

Operation Data

Upstream

Downstream

Noise Margin

Line Attenuation

6.8 (dB)

7.1 (dB)

21.7 (dB)

40.0 (dB)

Indicator Name

Near End Indicator

Far End Indicator

Output Power

Fast Path FEC Correction

Interleaved Path FEC Correction

Fast Path CRC Error

Interleaved Path CRC Error

Loss of Signal Defect

Fast Path HEC Error STR

Interleaved Path HEC Error

Error Seconds

12.8 (dBm)

0.0 (dBm)

--

--

--

--

--

--

Statistics

Received Data

Transmitted Data

23459336 (Kbits)

10355552 (Kbits)

System Uptime is: 93:21:10

Read more
System Uptime is: 21:19:15

Status
  ConfiguredCurrentLine StatusLink TypeOperation Mode
--UP
--Fast Path
AutomaticG.992.5 (ADSL2+)
Data Rate InformationUpstreamDownstream
1080 (Kbps)
10403 (Kbps)
Defect/Failure IndicationOperation DataUpstreamDownstreamNoise MarginLine Attenuation
5.7 (dB)5.7 (dB)
21.8 (dB)40.0 (dB)

Indicator NameNear End IndicatorFar End IndicatorOutput PowerFast Path FEC CorrectionInterleaved Path FEC CorrectionFast Path CRC ErrorInterleaved Path CRC ErrorLoss of Signal DefectFast Path HEC Error STRInterleaved Path HEC ErrorError Seconds
12.8 (dBm)0.0 (dBm)
----
----
----
StatisticsReceived DataTransmitted Data
7486890 (Kbits)
2197426 (Kbits)

There doesn't seem to be probblems with the local exchange when this happens (MYHSF).

In between these drop outs the internet works fine at the speed EE suggested I would get.

Anyone got any bright ideas on ways I could sort this?

Many thanks

6 REPLIES
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Connection regularly drops out

Hi @Leedsmedic,

Welcome to the EE Community.

It sounds like introducing the N300 has changed the issue you are facing.

Just to confirm, when using the Bright Box, your wired connections were unaffected?

Did you try using intelligent WiFi?

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Hello

To clarify the Wifi seems to be working fine now and it is a connection issue as both wired and wireless devices are affected.

The two spoilers contain the data using the normal and test socket and both seem to have the same connection problems.

Here is the connection data for the past few days using the test socket. I note that the error seconds seems high compared to other peoples posted stats.

12.jpg

System Uptime is: 93:19:18

I don't have a landline phone so the quiet line test would be difficult and I was hoping not to have to buy one. I wasn't having these problems on the same line prior to the switch to EE so that does seem less likely.

Many thanks
by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's worth a read of Why do I need a landline phone?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks, have done and will order a landline phone.

Investigator

Right, bought a landline phone and plugged it in. Quiet line test seems fine, no noise.

Still getting regular connection loss of about 10 minutes at a time.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.