by garylawson1
Explorer

Connecting via Asus router (no internet)

Hi. I am trying to replace my Brightbox2 router for a Asus RT-AC68U router but am having difficulty so wondered if anyone can help.

I have tracked down my username from the existing router... the long one beginning PRODUCTION and ending @FS and so have been able to derive my password from that too.

I have set everything up by connecting my laptop via one of the yellow wires directly into the Asus router. The problem is that after going through the set up of the Asus router, it says there is no internet connection.

For the internet into the EE box, I have a single wire running from a BT Openreach wall mounted socket and directly into the Brightbox. In case it's significant, when I plug this into the Asus router instead, not only is there no internet, but the phone line goes dead too. (Should I be using a separate modem? All the instructions for the Asus seem to suggest it should go to a modem first, then into the router)

Thank you for any help you can offer.

6 REPLIES 6
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Re: Connecting via Asus router (no internet)

Which model of Asus router do you have?

by Maestro
Maestro

@garylawson1 It wont work because that particular router doesn't have a built -in ADSL or fibre modem.

Yes, you will need a seperate external modem.

Are you using standard ADSL broadband or fibre broadband?

by garylawson1
Explorer

It's an RT-AC68U  (AC1900 802.11 not sure what all that means)

by garylawson1
Explorer

It's supposedly high speed - I get up to about 30mbps but not sure if it's fibre... how would I tell?

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

As already mention, that is a cable router, you should have got one with DSL in the name, such as https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSLAC68U/

Highlighted
by garylawson1
Explorer

OK - thanks for your help everyone. Back to the drawing board!

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.