by Fairy_Tonic Investigator
Investigator

Connecting tp-link TD-W8961N Router to EE HomeFibre Broadband

*Posted as requested via private message*

Good Afternoon,

First off i'd like to say thanks for the many great guides and all the questions you have answered as they have

provided me with a wealth of information while trying to setup a tp-link router to replace the EE Hub.

Basically, i would like to replace the EE Hub to allow my devices to talk to each other over the network to allow for example ; Screen Mirrowing from device to Smarth TV etc. . 

Having spent around 6 hours trawling through settings/advanced/settings/forum post's i cannot get the TP-Link router to connect to EE HomeFibre Broadband.

I Have my username/password correct after phoning a really helpful lady on 150 this morning and i'm using the settings listed below to connect.

protocol: PPPoE

internet IP address: e.g. Dynamic, Auto or Obtain from ISP (we'll assign you an IP address when you connect)

DNS IP address: e.g. Dynamic, Auto or Obtain from ISP (we'll automatically provide these when you connect)

MTU: 1492

MAC address: (leave blank/disabled)

Encapsulation: I have tried both

•  PPP over ATM for standard broadband
  •  PPP over Ethernet for fibre broadband
Multiplexing method
  1.  VC-Based

Virtual circuit
  1.  VPI=0
  2.  VCI=38
Modulation : Multi mode  (I did not see an option for this anywhere)

Authentication
  1.  CHAP

Attached below is the error log.

--------------------------------------------------- Error Log------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/1/2000 0:19:45> netMakeChannDial: err=-3001 rn_p=80490368
1/1/2000 0:19:47> ADSL: wait initialize
1/1/2000 0:19:47> netMakeChannDial: err=-3001 rn_p=80490368
1/1/2000 0:20:6> Last errorlog repeat 1 Times
1/1/2000 0:20:6> ADSL: down
1/1/2000 0:20:9> netMakeChannDial: err=-3001 rn_p=80490368
1/1/2000 0:20:13> Last errorlog repeat 4 Times
1/1/2000 0:20:13> ADSL: wait initialize
1/1/2000 0:20:14> netMakeChannDial: err=-3001 rn_p=80490368
1/1/2000 0:20:34> Last errorlog repeat 14 Times
1/1/2000 0:20:34> ADSL: down
1/1/2000 0:20:37> ADSL: wait initialize
1/1/2000 0:20:56> ADSL: down
1/1/2000 0:21:2> netMakeChannDial: err=-3001 rn_p=80490368
1/1/2000 0:21:5> Last errorlog repeat 2 Times
1/1/2000 0:21:5> ADSL: wait initialize
1/1/2000 0:21:6> netMakeChannDial: err=-3001 rn_p=80490368
1/1/2000 0:21:18> Last errorlog repeat 5 Times
1/1/2000 0:21:18> ADSL: down
1/1/2000 0:21:21> ADSL: wait initialize
1/1/2000 0:21:22> netMakeChannDial: err=-3001 rn_p=80490368
1/1/2000 0:21:35> ADSL: down
1/1/2000 0:21:38> ADSL: wait initialize
1/1/2000 0:21:44> ADSL: down
1/1/2000 0:21:47> ADSL: wait initialize
1/1/2000 0:21:52> netMakeChannDial: err=-3001 rn_p=80490368
1/1/2000 0:21:59> Last errorlog repeat 3 Times
1/1/2000 0:21:59> ADSL: down

------------------------------------------------------------- END-----------------------------------------

No matter what settings i change all i seem to get is the same error's although the line is not down

as it works fine with the EE hub.

Their are some other settings on the tp-link router options that i have been leaving at default as suggested.

Would you be able to please help me out with this as it feels like im missing something really simple!

TP-Link phone helpline was a complete waste of time, they just told me to factory reset the device which

ive probably done 50 times + today.

Thank you and sorry to burden this upon youre general direction.

Kenny

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Re: Connecting tp-link TD-W8961N Router to EE HomeFibre Broadband

Your router is for ADSL not VDSL (Fibre).

You need a VDSL Router.

What is it the EE Router won't do? 

Investigator

Thank you for the swift reply,

This had crossed my mind as it must be something simple lol!

Basically i would like to use the screen mirroring function on our Panasonic Viera smart tv with our tablet/phones,

All of our devices connect to the smarthub but sadly the smarthub wont allow the devices to talk to each other and due to software/hardware limitations i'm unable to change the settings of the EE hub to allow this to happen. (Client Isolation or some such it is called, by default on the EE hub this is enabled and i cannot disable it for some reason).

I'll return this tp-link router and find a suitable replacement and have a second attempt.

And hopefully this thread to can be of use to other people who find themself in this situation.

Kenny 🙂

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I don't have a Smart hub, so not sure what settings there are, but I doubt there will be too many, if any that stops a device on the same LAN connecting to each other.

That said, are they all wired connected?

Also, have you changed you PC settings for the new network to make it discoverable - Windows default is usually no!

Investigator

The tablet,phones and smart tv all connect to the hub wirelessly while the PC is on a wired connection.

All the settings on the PC are correct and the communication of devices would be handled by the EE hub/router etc anyhows.

The EE Smarthub Manager interface is great for most general users but i feel it could benefit a little for more advanced users who want to open up possibilities on a home network.

At the moment i cant justify spending £75 on another router for me to use these features so i will probably give it a miss.

It's a shame really as some of the other standard routers provided by other ISP's do allow control of these features (for example i set this feauture up round a friends house using their isp provided router so we could play mario kart on the ipad which then mirrored the display to a 40" TV).

Dont you just love being a big kid sometimes. (Most of the time!)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I'll test an EE SH & a Panasonic Smart TV tonight when the TV no longer watched.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Awesome let me know how you get on.

I'm trying to mirror an Ipad onto the Panasonic Smart TV using a free and highly commended app call Apowermirror which i have had success with at my parents house and friends.

I can get all the devices to connect no problems and "see" each other but none of them have the ability to communicate with each other, In simplest terms.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What do you mean by they can "see" each other but can't communicate?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

As in i can see all the devices on the network say via the ipad but it wont let me send data through the hub to these devices.

For example i can see the Smart TV on the ipad and connect to it but it wont transmit or receive date to allow screen mirroring to work.

Or thats how i see it in my head in simple terms.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Fairy_Tonic wrote:

As in i can see all the devices on the network say via the ipad

What are you seeing them thro, on the iPad? Do you mean you see them in a File Explorer?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I just replaced my usual Brightbox 2 router with an EE SH (as you say, far weaker functionally). I had no difficulty mirroring my mobile to my Panasonic Viera Smart TV, I needed to make no changes to the router.

If you go to Advanced Settings / My Network of your EE SH do you see all your devices highlighted in Green? That shows they are connected thro' the router.

I think your issue with seeing your devices but not being able to transfer data has to do with file permissions. These are difficult to tailor on mobile devices, if at all, but PCs have more control over them.

Investigator

https://pdf5fq.dm.files.1drv.com/y4mVtAFgAcNEyGEO78M_j1uEAyFoWk-BoNuTiaE2ZMmTmMIM7_srGQEyREXTWvrK7GT...

Ive tried for 37 minutes to upload an image to the forum and it just gets turned into a triangle.

Here's a clicky to a screenshot of the smarthub which is stored on Onedrive.

Investigator

Yep it appears all devices are connected fine,

I guess what i meant by seeing each other is if i log into the EE smarthub from each seperate device i can see them on the network from their, i could be under the delusion they can see each other when perhaps in reality they cannot.

I can connect using the Panasonic TV Remote 2 app and use it as a remote control but when it comes to sharing files or any other interaction its not having any of it.

ApowerMirror throws up instructions to

1. Please make sure all devices are connected to the same wifi, (They are)

2. Please restart the device and try again, (done ... lots of times..)

3. Disable AP isolation, (I cant and after extensive research(Credit to Xrayspecs in another thread) i have found it is defaulted to ON on the EE Smarthub)

Using the native screen mirroring functions of the Smart tv the devices cannot be found.

I could understand more if it was just Apple based devices causing problems as their OS settings are quite restrictive but we are also having problems with the android device which has a lot more freedom to the settings.

On one of the devices im getting the error to 'Please close the "AP Isolation" of the router', which as i understand is the setting which lets devices on the same network talk to each other.

I think it really boils down to having to use another router in my situation.

Investigator

And to answer my original post, im a silly sausage for buying the wrong router 😄

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.