Highlighted
by
Explorer

Competition in May 2020

I opened Chrome and this window appeared is it legitimate?

Dear EE Customer, Congratulations!

EE is holding an anniversary celebration for next 7 days (May.3 -> May.10) to thank your loyalty for using us as Internet Provider.

We will select 10 lucky users everyday to win an exclusive gift from us, including free Apple iPhone 11 Pro, Samsung Galaxy S10, Apple Watch for

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
by

Re: Competition in May 2020

Doubt it, you get the same with Virgin media. If you look at the url on the address bar you'll see no association to EE. Probably just a marketing company trying to harvest data, if you're lucky you win a pencil but don't hold your breath

Highlighted
by
Explorer

Thank you that makes sense as no EE in the URL didn't think to look at that 🙂

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hi - I've been getting these  things popping up all yesterday and this a.m. on my PC - on completely unrelated sites - newspaper sites etc.

Can anybody tell me how to STOP them?

(I've scanned with Malbytes and Norton - but nothing shows up.)

Any help/advice gratefully received!

Highlighted
by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Install adblock plus or similar.

Highlighted
by
Visitor

This looked legitimate so I went through the motions gave my card number for £1 then it took me to another site asked for another £. Then thought it was a scam/fraud so cancelled my credit card. I agree with another post looks harvesting. Causes worry and wastes time. It caught me out as it was not just an email it new I was online with EE and had their IP address which I had checked.

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Yes I agree it LOOKS legitimate, but if you look at the url on the top left of the screen, it says otherwise.

The Urls change, but start with things like "eu.inside theblackmarket..."

and "eu.inside the markethall" and then a load of letters and numbers.

Don't know who they are - but I know who they are NOT.

As you say, worrying and annoying.

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Many thanks for advice - I'll shall indeed try this, but I am quite OLD and not very techno savvy.

Just hope I don't get it wrong and make things worse!  :o{

Highlighted
by
Visitor

I thought I had a virus. I remember such viruses/malware changing your home page to a selling site from years ago. What are you doing EE? Why do this? My satisfaction rating of you has dropped.

Highlighted
by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@LyndonH wrote:

I thought I had a virus. I remember such viruses/malware changing your home page to a selling site from years ago. What are you doing EE? Why do this? My satisfaction rating of you has dropped.

It has absolutely nothing to do with EE. They are doing nothing. Install an adblocker in your browser.

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hi again

Just (nervously) installed an adblocker  - and visited some of the sites where popup was popping up.

So far haven't seen this thing come up again.

Fingers crossed!!!

Thanks again for advice!

Highlighted
by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Glad to be of help.

Highlighted
by

If it is any comfort I've been getting this today when browsing dailymail.co.uk   

It is NOT an EE contest, but the company providing the ad can tell you're an EE Broadband customer based on your IP address. 

DO NOT DO THE SURVEY.

In the past I've seen similar techniques where an ad can redirect your browsing session to a completely different site and it SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED.  It was happening many months ago when using eBay.   I think the redirect is embedded in an ad, which are not directly provided by, say, eBay or dailymail.co.uk but by an advertising partner.  It is quite sinister in that the redirect to the dodgy site does not happen right away and instead only after a delay or when scrolling or possibly when moving the mouse pointer (if in a computer and not a phone/tablet) over the ad...

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hello and thanks!

Yes, I've been getting the same pop up today - whilst browsing the Daily Mail.

Here we go again!

It is infuriating, and as you so rightly say, IT SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED.

I stopped it briefly back in May by installing an ad-blocker, but that seems to have been lost during an update session.

I wonder why EE do not pursue this - as it is their name which is being mis-used.

Anyway - I won't click anything and will certainly not do the dodgy "survey."

Thanks for your advice and good luck in getting rid of this nuisance!

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Gitana

Thanks for coming to the community and letting us know.

The websites it has appeared on are random and unrelated to EE and it isn't specific to any browser or device (both mobile and computer). 

This has been appearing to both customers of EE and non-customers alike and has mimicked multiple brands. 

You can find full information in our Pop-up anniversary survey scam post.

Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions