by Grand Master
Grand Master

Changing of Public IP Disconnects Externally Visible Devices

Posted in the open:

@userneedshelp wrote:

Dear Sir

I have been told to contact you by EE Technical Support.

Maybe you can assist and get a solution to this issue.

For many years we have had standard broadband and the Bright Box 1 with no issues other than of course the speed.

In January 2018 we moved to Fibre Plus Broadband with Bright Box 2.

Initially the download speed started decreasing from 80 mbps to 35 or so.

First BT engineer came out to the property and moved the master socket next to the router.

This has resolved the download speed issue which is around 76 mbps or so.

The issue left which has not been resolved to date and needs a resolution and your assistance is as follows:

I have been informed that the system automatically every five days or so changes the dynamic IP address.

What this does that it restarts the router.  However, the problem with this has been that sometimes all of the wired devices attached i.e. CCTV, LighwaveRF Switches etc do not connect back and all  flash red.  The problem with this is that if we are not at home none of the wired devices can be accessed remotely until the router is physically turned on and off which defeats the whole purpose.

A second BT faults engineer came out to the property and went to the exchange and did some work and we were informed that the line would be stable.

The issue has still continued.

A new Bright Box 2 was sent out.

The issue has still continued.

The devices i.e. CCTV and LighwaveRF have port forwarding on them which also have static and stable IP addresses.

I have noticed that If the dynamic IP address does not change then no issues occur.  It is only when the dynamic IP address automatically changes that this issue occurs.

Can we resolve this issue if so how?  Please kindly advise.

Many thanks

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
2 REPLIES 2
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Changing of Public IP Disconnects Externally Visible Devices

Thanks for posting this in the forum @XRaySpeX

Welcome to the community @userneedshelp

Have you tried reaching out to the manufacturers of your connected devices to see if they have a solution for users that don't have a static IP?

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Changing of Public IP Disconnects Externally Visible Devices

@userneedshelp wrote:
I have been informed that the system automatically every five days or so changes the dynamic IP address.

That's not correct. Nothing particular happens auto every so many days. A change of IP does not cause the router to reboot. It's the other way round. Whenever the router needs to resync (not reboot) it may be given a different public IP addy but not necessarily. A router only needs to resync when it can't hold the signal on the line. A router can go weeks or months w/out having to resync & possibly even longer with the same IP addy.

No, your issue is solely to do with any change of public IP addy & not with any action of the router. Whenever a change of IP occurs you can no longer externally access your attached home devices with the IP you were using & you have to discover the new assigned IP & start using that externally. This is direct result of EE only supplying dynamic IP addys & not offering static IPs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.