by Blindo Investigator
Investigator

Changing my Brightbox 2 for a third party (better) wireless router

I am blind and use a talking computer so don't use a mouse, instead use a keyboard for all inputs. That said ...

I want to replace my Brightbox 2 with a much better (with external aerials) wireless router. I am completely confused as to what to buy and when asking a supplier they simply said I should ask EE (helpful - NOT).

Any suggestions much appreciated. I'm on a budget but better penetration (as it were) is key.

Also some step-by-step hand-holding instruction as to how to do this much appreciated for a 'Bear of Little Brain'.

Am I right in thinking I need some eyes to read the username and password for my Brightbox which is on a label on the back?

Cheers muchly!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Changing my Brightbox 2 for a third party (better) wireless router

The Brightbox can be replaced by any combined ADSL/VDSL modem/router such as the ASUS DSL-AC68U , which I'm giving purely as an example. Respected manufacturers include ASUS, Billion & Netgear.

You'll find everything you need to set up your own router in Home Broadband settings .

You will need to read off the BB Username, probably not from the label on it (EE no longer do this) but from the settings within the Brightbox. You only need do this once & could possibly get someone else to read it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

The Brightbox can be replaced by any combined ADSL/VDSL modem/router such as the ASUS DSL-AC68U , which I'm giving purely as an example. Respected manufacturers include ASUS, Billion & Netgear.

You'll find everything you need to set up your own router in Home Broadband settings .

You will need to read off the BB Username, probably not from the label on it (EE no longer do this) but from the settings within the Brightbox. You only need do this once & could possibly get someone else to read it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I replaced my BrightBox2 with a Netgear D6400 AC1600.  It has greater wifi range.  I'd pay attention to setting up the dual band ( ignore the 5GHz setting), the best channel to avoid neighbours interference, and positioning of the router itself to get the best wifi reach.

by Blindo Investigator
Investigator

Looking at two options for replacing the Brightbox2: Asus RT-AC68U or an older TP-Link Archer C9. Any comments much appreciated please. I'm inclined  to go for the former but as I'm not an expert - other than age of kit - cannot see a huge difference between the two?

Cheers, Blindo

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The Asus RT-AC68U is no good for you. It has no DSL modem in it. I pointed you at the Asus DSL-AC68U which does.

Nor does the Archer C9. The Archer VR900 does.

You must look at their specs for VDSL/ADSL modems. If its description doesn't contain at least "VDSL" it's no good.

by Blindo Investigator
Investigator

OK. Have ordered the Asus from Amazon as suggested. Fingers crossed for ease of set-up for a Bear of Little Brain using a screen reader (talking computer).

Cheers, Blindo

by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the community @Blindo

Please let us know how you get on when you receive your new router.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.