by Bubbles319 Investigator
Investigator

Changing IP Address?

I'm not great at IT stuff so if this is possible please can you tell me in really easy step?

A couple of sites I'm trying to use have come back saying I can't use them because of the country I'm in.  I have used an IP address checker and it's saying my EE broadband's address is in California.

Is there any way that I can change this to a UK address so I don't have to keep using my mobile's data?

I turned my router off/on and still the same.  Have deleted history/cookies/cache.

Many thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Changing IP Address?

Yes, why not! Just don't keep rebooting it too often.

If you have another router you could swap it & it'll likely get another IP pool.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
15 REPLIES 15
by Grand Master
Grand Master

It is not possible for your EE public IP to be in California. Please post the 1st 3 parts of your IP so I can check it out.

Your history/cookies/cache have nowt to do with your IP.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Profile closed
Not applicable

You could try leaving your router switch off for a couple of hours (over-night is probably the most convenient) as most ISP's use very sticky IP address' now due to the shortage of them.

It's also just just EE that have this issue as I have also experienced this issue myself a few times and I've with Sky.

The other option is to use a VPN (virtual private network) which is a piece of software that changes you external IP address.  There are some free ones but VPN can and do have an impact on browsing speeds.

Investigator

Thank you both.

When I look up the address using https://www.iplocation.net/ it comes up with California in the top option:-Geolocation data from IP2Location (Product: DB6, updated on 2018-5-1) & UK in:-Geolocation data from ipinfo.io (Product: API, real-time)

Using https://whatismyipaddress.com it comes up with Nottingham

the numbers I believe you're after are 91.110.103

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You're right! Your IP is registered to EE in Los Angeles. Looks like originally EE inherited it from T-Mobile USA.

All you do is keep re-syncing or rebooting the router until you get an IP not started '91.110' or ''91.111'.

Investigator

So just keep turning the router off and back on again.  Leaving it off overnight as suggested?

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Yes, why not! Just don't keep rebooting it too often.

If you have another router you could swap it & it'll likely get another IP pool.

Investigator

Turned if off for a few hours and we're now back in the UK. 

Thanks so much for your help. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

What's your IP start with now?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @Bubbles319

Glad you got the help you needed from the community.

Thanks @XRaySpeX @Profile closed

Come back to the community anytime.

Investigator

Starts with 91.110.104.  I know you said not to have it start with that but I guess it's OK if in the UK now? 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

EE's IP addresses are not very sticky at all.  A 20 second router reboot is sufficient.  I have had over 40 IP addresses in the last 2 years.  Mine used to be 2.xx. but now 90% of the time it becomes 95.xx.  and it makes whitelisting for your own websites a contunual pain.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, those are registered to Bristol. Looks like diff parts of the same pool are farmed out to diff locations. All the better as it makes it easier to re-sync to get a satisfactory 1.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

You're right! Your IP is registered to EE in Los Angeles. Looks like originally EE inherited it from T-Mobile USA.

All you do is keep re-syncing or rebooting the router until you get an IP not started '91.110' or ''91.111'.

Probably the old USA Orange research & development office/team IP. It shouldn’t be allowing any type of EE customer access. 

*Easiest way to find info is*
EE HELP SEARCH https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new

Phone +447953 966 250

Live Chat/Complaints https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/make-a-complaint

Complaints Code of Practice https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/safety-and-security/protecting-your-information/complaints-code-of-practice
by cylonrouter Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried using a dyndns system so you can whitelist by (sub)domain?

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I found a work around... become a BT customer.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.