by Jackw7 Investigator
Investigator

Changed DNS, since reverting back, internet is half as slow

HI,

I changed my DNS settings via windows 10 on my PC to 1.1.1.1, in the hopes it would get a bit quicker. Now since changing it back to automatic (about a day after changing it, it was fine for about a day), the internet speed is half as slow. I now get about 4MB as opposed to 9MB. I've had EE since January and it's been absolutely fine before.

Also, it may just be a coincidence... but Google Chrome now won't work properly. Sometimes it loads up, but I can't access any website on it, not even 192.168.1.1.

I've tried restarting the PC, flushing the DNS cache... am I missing something?

16 REPLIES 16
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Changed DNS, since reverting back, internet is half as slow

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

If you can't access http://192.168.1.1 from any browser then I should factory reset the router.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Jackw7 Investigator
Investigator

Thank you 🙂

System Uptime is: 20:25:06

Wired Speedtest:

Exchange:

See image for DSL status.DSL status.jpg

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Your BB is fine, running at top whack, but your actual throughput is below half what it should be. Speedtests are not affected by DNS employed.

Did you need to factory reset it?

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Post the full router stats & System Uptime and speedtest when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jackw7 wrote:

I changed my DNS settings via windows 10 on my PC to 1.1.1.1

Did you change your DNS & back again only on the PC (adapter) itself or did you actually change it in the router settings?

by Jackw7 Investigator
Investigator

Only on the PC, not the router.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You sure the PC is back to "Obtain DNS addy auto" & the router still has "Obtain DNS from ISP"?

by Jackw7 Investigator
Investigator

100%, checked them a few times now.

by Jackw7 Investigator
Investigator

Also, not sure if it will help... doing a wifi speedtest on my mobile phone gives me 70+mbps which is what I had before.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That's interesting! If you only changed the DNS on the PC that would not change the DNS the mobile was using, which would be that of the router, i.e. EE's DNS.

There seems to be some concerns on the Web about the privacy & sharing of your data by the Cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1). I wonder if it is spying on all your Net accesses & thereby eating your bandwidth.

by Jackw7 Investigator
Investigator

It could still be eating bandwidth despite me changing the DNS back to auto?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That's what's puzzling! Check all the DNS setting of the PC's adapters for IPv4 & IPv6 and then reboot it.

by Jackw7 Investigator
Investigator

Just checked - ipv4, IP address & DNS are set to Auto. Same with ipv6.

by Jackw7 Investigator
Investigator

Just did an ipconfig /all in PowerShell, getting '192.168.1.1' only, under ethernet adapters > DNS servers.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Is the PC connected directly to the router via an ethernet cable, or does it go through any adapters?

Also if you use task manager, check on the performance tab, that no other apps/programs are using network or CPU reources when you do the tests.

by Jackw7 Investigator
Investigator

It's connected through a powerline adapter, its been absolutely fine since the other day. Never had issues previously.

The ethernet section on the peformance tab in task manager shows send/recieve as 0kpbs on idle, sometimes going to 8 etc then down to 0 again.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Try a direct cable, then blame your powerline adapters! Sometimes they can get muddled, maybe switching them off and back on will get your speeds back.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.