by Helen1111 Investigator
Investigator

Cancelling new Home Broadband but have to wait 30 days before joining

I joined EE Broadband a week ago for £21 a month and a £75 Pre Paid Card, but now EE is doing a better offer of £18.50 a month with a £125 Pre Paid Card. Im still within my 14 day cancelation time, but EE have said i would have to wait 30 days before joining again and the deal would have finished by then if i cancel now. Why do i have to wait 30 days before joining again? Why cant i just move to the better deal since im still within my cancelation time? Surely making me wait 30 days to sign back up is giving other companies time to put up even better deals for me to join them since i would be unable to take up EE's better offer that i would like to sign up with in those 30 days?  

8 REPLIES 8
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: Cancelling new Home Broadband but have to wait 30 days before joining

It sounds like you are taking advantage.  You agreed to a contract, then opted out.  EE will have had terms in that contract so they can rightly say they reserve right not to sell you a second contract immediately.    Otherwise everyone would be swapping contracts all the time and eventually all our prices would go up to reflect the cost of contract swapping.  

Investigator

Thank you for your very unhelpful responce Paulosb. I am well within my legal rights to cancel the contract and go elsewhere, so i dont see how that would be classed as taking advantage. This is one of the reasons we have a law for a cancellation period, in case people change their mind. I changed my mind. Its up to EE if they want to sign me up with their better deal, if not, Sky is offering me an equally good deal. 

Im guessing Paulosb that if you had a quote from a builder for work doing to your house, then the following week your neighbour had a quote for the exact same work but at a cheaper and better price, you wouldn't feel ripped of or question your quote, and you would continue with the work you was quoted at the higher price of your neighbour? 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

If I had contracted to a builder, told him to proceed, he then cleared time to do the work, started work and expended money doing so, and then I changed my mind because someone said they could do it cheaper, then that builder would be mighty narked.

The cooling off period is for people who have made a genuine mistake. You are re-negging on the contract to get a better rate.   yes, you are right it is upto EE for them to see if they can give you a better deal... and they have exercised their contractual rights not to play your game, and you have a beef with them because they won't do so.    I suggest you go to Sky where you will be treated exactly the same and probably see a new deal a week later after you sign.

Investigator

But the builder knows you have 14 days to change your mind, as the builder is the one who told you that. So the builder is fully aware that there is a 50/50 chance of you cancelling, So would only invest a minimul amount of money in....pennies, nothing he couldnt reclaim back in expenses. I doubt the builder would be "narked" infact im sure the builder would match the quote instantly, unless he's not a very clever builder.

But thank you Paulosb for suggesting i go to Sky. Its a good thing you dont work for EE as you would have lost EE the hundred or so pounds for my 18 month contract, not including the hundred or so pound the following year when i renew,  just for the fact of a couple of pennies they could have potentually lose at the very begining. Your Maths doesnt add up Paulosb. And the cooling of period is for people who have changed their mind, like myself. Let me just stress im speaking about the cooling of period from before my broadband has been connected, not the 10 day cooling of period i have after once my broadband has gone live. 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

If the builder had waited then you'd get your building works 2 weeks later than normally as he knew he couldn't trust your word. - and yet you can't wait 30 days?

My suggestion to go to Sky won't cost EE £100's, as you chose to cancel the agreement and they have stated they don't want you back until a month has passed, and you have made it clear it is price and discounts that motivate you.  You can exercise your choice but don't expect a company to welcome contract swappers back.

Investigator

Paulosb, If i canceled my contract and went to Sky like you suggested then i wouldn't go into a fixed contract with EE for 18 months, so EE would lose out on hundreds of pounds a year as they would not get their £18.50 monthly line rental from me for 18 months and instead Sky would recieve this amount instead. It costs pennies for someone to join, but a company recieves hundreds from the monthly line rental. Oh, and you did not answer my question if you would continue to have your building work done at the higher price of your neighbours exact same work, but at a lower quote from the same builder....If you chose to say yes you would, then i suggest next time you go shopping and see something on sale, then insist on paying full price for the item as your not driven by deals and discounts, and prefer to throw money away. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Helen1111

Thanks for coming to community 🙂

I would advise a chat with broadband customer services, to see what best option their is to help you.

Have a great weekend.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The builder example is a red herring, You don't auto get a 14-day statutory cooling-off period with a builder. It's a Service not Goods & builders do not usually offer a cooling-off period. It's up to the builder whether he accepts your cancellation w/out penalty.

EE does offer a 14-day cooling-off period; not by law but of their own choice. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.