by dno101 Investigator
Investigator

Can we use BB as a wireless Client Bridge?

Hi  -

I have BB2 set up for fibre broadband, and want to use my old BB as an on-site Client Bridge for my upstairs TV.  It is a smart TV and only has ethernet connection.  I have tried powerline adapters which drop connection very quickly in our house.  Is it possible to use the BB as a wireless Client Bridge (not a repeater or access point!).  Or do I have to buy an access point/bridge device?

thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Can we use BB as a wireless Client Bridge?

Hi @dno101,

Welcome to the EE Community.

If you search the Broadband forum there are a few threads which may help you with your query, including this one.

Please let us know if that helps.

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@James_B: I don't know what a Client Bridge is but I think OP wants a wirelessly connected Ethernet hub. Most of the discussions on here are for an Ethernet connected wireless & Ethernet extender, such as How do I connect a second Bright Box 2 to a first BB2 in order to extend wifi.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by dno101 Investigator
Investigator

thanks for the replies.  xrayspecs is spot on - looking to use the BB as a wireless ethernet hub so i can connect my TV to the BB2 network.  I have searched exhaustively about the internet, but all the guides use third party firmware with which the BB is not compatible.  Before i spend endless nights using the trial and error process, just wondered if it was actually possible.......?

Thanks.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Dunno if it'll work but you could follow some of the suggestions for setting up an Ethernet connected pair of routers. Once they are both set up remove the connecting Ethernet cable & operate the secondary over WiFi. By that time they will have consistent fixed IPs on the same subnet & so should operate in unison over WiFi.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by dno101 Investigator
Investigator

thanks.  I'll give that a go - if anything, i'm persistent....what does confuse me though is the 'bridge mode' on the BB router.  what does it actually do, as it would seem to be the function i am after (although it didn't do the job, as the IP addresses, passwords etc all stayed the same - all it seemed to do was disable DHCP).

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, with DHCP & NAT disabled it is just a bridge.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.