by Amberzum Investigator
Investigator

Can’t get broadband connection. Any ideas?

Hi!

So I’m a new customer and my broadband was meant to be live from Monday. It still wasn’t working on Tuesday and we couldn’t even get a dial tone (we bought a landline specifically to check!) so they sent an engineer out to us today.

I wasn’t in and my partner had to leave for work right away so he didn’t have time to try testing the WiFi out, but the engineer ran his tests and it seemed fine. No idea on what the router was doing though. Came home and it was flashing aqua again. We have a dial tone now, but still no WiFi.

I have reset the router, tried everything in the test socket, the microfilter is fine as the phone works in it, everything is plugged in fine. The one thing that is interesting though, is that when the yellow cable (Ethernet?) is plugged in to the master socket, which is how the engineer left it set up, even the phone doesn’t work and we get no dial tone anymore. If I unplug that, the dial tone is fine. No WiFi either way.

I’m at a loss, and we go away on Sunday so it’ll potentially be two weeks waiting if we need a second call out. I’d rather sort it out ourselves if possible! Is it worth trying to replace the RJ11 cable? I’m baffled!

Thanks!

Amber

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Can’t get broadband connection. Any ideas?

That wiring to the phone socket is completely wrong & ineffectual. Where is the other end of the yellow cable plugged into? What sort of BT eng were you sent? Looks like a phone eng who knows nowt about BB.

To correct:

1. Remove both cables from the phone socket.
  2. Remove yellow cable from wherever it is plugged at other end & put aside.
  3. Remove "Phone" cable from filter & plug in bottom port of phone socket.
  4. Remove "ADSL Modem" cable from filter & plug in top port of phone socket.
  5. Put filter back in router box. It is unneeded when you have a filtered master socket with 2 ports like yours.
  6. Do both BB & phone work now?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

The yellow cable is an Ethernet cable & should not be plugged into the phone socket. It's for connecting the router to PCs. How is it even possible to fit it in a single socket phone socket? It shouldn't even fit! It's the thin black cable to connect the router to the phone's DSL socket. You should not be shopping for cables. You have all you need.

What does it say after you log into the router:

• For a BrightBox: in the Internet section on the initial Status page or
  • For a Smart Hub: on the Advanced Settings / Broadband / Internet page?

Obscure your names in the BB Username but post the 1st 2 parts of the IP addy. This will tell us at which stage EE have got to.

Does the phone work? Do you get a dial tone? Does it announce your correct no. when you dial 1470 17070?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Amberzum Investigator
Investigator

E2737193-847A-4FF6-BE89-B899E869EE39.jpeg

Read more
So this is the set up the engineer left us with. With this, I get no dial tone, no nothing. If I unplug the yellow one, the phone works fine. Dial tone, can make and take calls, number is right when I call the bt service checker number. Just no broadband still. This is why I’m wondering if I need to replace the ADSL cables, in theory it should be fine right?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do I access the settings bit? If I try connect to my home hub I can’t get past the troubleshooting pages because it isn’t working.

Thanks for the reply

by Amberzum Investigator
Investigator

ED30997B-7124-4F63-952A-987BD2FAF3D5.jpeg

67368A19-59FE-4173-A897-6058505EDE45.png

Is this the page you wanted to see? Got there by selecting random options in troubleshooting until it let me log in to the Smart Hub 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You can login to any router even when the BB is disconnected (as I'm doing with my SH).

When you see the troubleshooting page it'll be on http://192.168.1.1/hurl_800_auto_a.htm . Just rub out everything after the last '/'.

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

That wiring to the phone socket is completely wrong & ineffectual. Where is the other end of the yellow cable plugged into? What sort of BT eng were you sent? Looks like a phone eng who knows nowt about BB.

To correct:

1. Remove both cables from the phone socket.
  2. Remove yellow cable from wherever it is plugged at other end & put aside.
  3. Remove "Phone" cable from filter & plug in bottom port of phone socket.
  4. Remove "ADSL Modem" cable from filter & plug in top port of phone socket.
  5. Put filter back in router box. It is unneeded when you have a filtered master socket with 2 ports like yours.
  6. Do both BB & phone work now?

View solution in original post

by Amberzum Investigator
Investigator

Yellow cable is plugged into the back of the router.

The guy who came out was sent by EE, apparently he ‘tested’ everything with his kit, said it was fine and went on his way. My SO didn’t have time to test anything himself as the engineer came out just before he had to leave for work but he’d been assured it was fine now.

I’ll give that set up a go when I get home this evening and report back.

Thank you so much!

by Amberzum Investigator
Investigator

Sorted! Did as you said and everything is up and running. Thanks again!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

I just can't imagine what your BT eng was playing at. You never plug an Ethernet cable in a phone socket :(. He needs to go back to school Smiley Wink.

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Amberzum

I'm delighted to see that @XRaySpeX was able to help you get reconnected. 🙂

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.