by Barrowdad Investigator
Investigator

Can't get any devices to connect to the Internet following Smart Hub Upgrade

As a condition of my renewing my contract I stated that I wanted a Smart hub to replace my Brightbox 2.  The reason for this is that I am creating a Smart Home which has a couple of hubs and a Network Accessible Storage (NAS) so I wanted the 4 Gigabit connections provided by the Smarthub router.  Also I am just about to have Sky Q installed which has additional mini boxes which are connected via my home wifi network and the promised extra signal strength of the new Smarthub would be beneficial.  Bottom line is that the new Smarthub arrived yesterday and I connected it up using the new cables supplied.  The router powered up and displayed the blue lights i.e. indicating correct operation and internet connection.  The new router was visible to all my wifi connected device (Smart TV, Mobile Phone, PC etc.)  Problem was that every one of them reported that they were connected but there was no internet connection.  I rebooted the router but got the same results.  I Phoned EE technical who conducted an on-line check and concluded that BT would have to check out the line.  I reconnected my BB 2 and everything is back to normal.  My question is that if my BB and internet connection performs perfectly with the BB2 then why won't the Smarthub connect and what options are open to BT to 'Fix' this? I have a sneaky feeling that because I have not got the new router via a formal upgrade or new installation then perhaps there is something in the BB provisioning set-up that I have not received on my line but I'm not sure how credible this hunch is.  Any thoughts from the community would be gratefully received. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Investigator
Solution

Re: Can't get any devices to connect to the Internet following Smart Hub Upgrade

Problem Solved!

Thanks to the suggestions from the responders I had the confidence to get back in touch with EE Technical and gave them the suggestion that maybe the new router had somehow been shipped to me without the normal admin processes activated.  I spoke to Daniel in their Plymouth support team who seemed to think this might be worth checking particularly since the serial number of my Smarthub could not be found on their system.  Long story short -- when the new routers are shipped as upgrades or to new customers then they are preconfigured with the customers log-in details but mine appears to have been taken from the warehouse and posted out to me without this set-up process.  Daniel talked me through setting the hub up through the hub manager screen and the bottom line is that the new hub is up and running and all seems to be working well.  Thanks to all especially Daniel.

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Can't get any devices to connect to the Internet following Smart Hub Upgrade

@Barrowdad  Did you receive a activation data of your new hub ?  

Investigator

No I didn't receive anything new other than the Hub in the post.  This is probably because I was already on a Fibre Broadband package and was merely swapping over routers.  This is what I suspect may be at the heart of the problem but I would have expected EE Technical to have checked this when I called them rather than them raising the issue with BT.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Barrowdad

Thanks for coming to the community.

I would suggest giving our broadband team a call on 0800 079 8586 and asking them to get this looked into further.

Thanks, Leanne.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Post an image of the Advanced Settings/ My Network page.

There is no activation data issued for a router.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator
Solution

Problem Solved!

Thanks to the suggestions from the responders I had the confidence to get back in touch with EE Technical and gave them the suggestion that maybe the new router had somehow been shipped to me without the normal admin processes activated.  I spoke to Daniel in their Plymouth support team who seemed to think this might be worth checking particularly since the serial number of my Smarthub could not be found on their system.  Long story short -- when the new routers are shipped as upgrades or to new customers then they are preconfigured with the customers log-in details but mine appears to have been taken from the warehouse and posted out to me without this set-up process.  Daniel talked me through setting the hub up through the hub manager screen and the bottom line is that the new hub is up and running and all seems to be working well.  Thanks to all especially Daniel.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Barrowdad wrote:

when the new routers are shipped as upgrades or to new customers then they are preconfigured with the customers log-in details

That is completely untrue. All EE routers come as default as being neutral to any user with the creds set as the vanilla readytoconnect@fs . To get it populated with your actual creds either:

1. You set them yourself manually as you have done.
  2. EE has a remote config server containing all users' creds. When the router 1st connects to EE in its vanilla state it downloads your creds from that server after a few min. Now it may be that EE forgot to store your creds on that server; it has been known to happen occasionally.

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.