cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect laptop to wireless connection on new EE Smarthub

stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I have just received a new EE Smarthub to replace the Brightbox I was previously using for my Broadband wireless internet connection.

I have set up the Smarthu, the light on the front is aqua. I can connect my mobile phone to the wireless connection no problem by using the password on the back of the hub.

However, when I try to connect my laptop by clicking on the available connection in the wireless network connection box , I get a message 'The network requires a network key (also called a wep key or wpa key). There are then two boxes, one for network key then another for confirm network key. I have tried putting in the same password which is on the back of the hub, but it won't connect.

The laptop was previously connected to the old Brightbox, but I can't remember whether I had this problem connecting to that. The laptop is an old Dell Latitude running on Windows XP.

What is this wep/wpa key I need to connect? I have tried another newer laptop running windows 7 home premium and this connects ok by just typing in the password on bak of hub, it's just this older laptop I am having problems with, yet it connected to the Brightbox.

Any help appreciated

32 REPLIES 32
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

What spec is the wireless on the old Dell? The 802.11x ?

All these "keys" are what you know as a password.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

What spec is the wireless on the old Dell? The 802.11x ?

How do I find this info, please?

All these "keys" are what you know as a password.

Yes, I thought that but I have tried putting the password in 50 times but it won't have it.

stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I would also like to add, I have tried to connect the laptop to a talk talk wireless network and I get the same problem, won't accept that password either.

The laptop works ok using an ethernet cable. It's obviously something to do with the laptop

Look up the spec of your lappy, or its wireless adapter, in the docs you got with it or online.

It's possible its wireless adapter is faulty if it's failing with a TT router, but OTOH it works with your BB1.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Look up the spec of your lappy, or its wireless adapter, in the docs you got with it or online.

Not sure where the docs are, not sure what to look for online

It's possible its wireless adapter is faulty if it's failing with a TT router, but OTOH it works with your BB1.

It was working ok with the brightbox though?  Not sure what TT router, OTOH, or BB1 means

stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@stackrock wrote:

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Not sure where the docs are, not sure what to look for online

It was working ok with the brightbox though?  Not sure what TT router, OTOH, or BB1 means

Ok I get it, on the other hand, brightbox1, yes, that's what I thought. Is there a difference between BB1 and smarthub?

TT = TalkTalk.

OTOH = On the other hand.

BB1 - Brightbox 1

Feed the exact model of your Dell lappy + "Spec" into a search engine.

Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections on the lappy & R click the WiFi adapter & select Properties. What device name does it say under "Connect Using"?

stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

TT = TalkTalk.

OTOH = On the other hand.

BB1 - Brightbox 1

Feed the exact model of your Dell lappy + "Spec" into a search engine.

Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections on the lappy & R click the WiFi adapter & select Properties. What device name does it say under "Connect Using"?

Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI Adapter - device status: this device is working properly.

stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Communications
  • Wireless Protocol
    802.11b
  • Wired Protocol
    Gigabit Ethernet