by janicskovsky Investigator
Investigator

Can't access the IP or reset router

I am having a few issues with my Brightbox router. I need to change some settings in the IP screen as my internet isn't working but the username and password on the bottom of the router don't work. I am almost positive I have never changed these.

I have tried reseting the router via the Reset button method, following the instructions in the second half of this guide: https://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/home-broadband/bright-box-wireless-router/bright-box-advance...

though I am not sure if the reset is following through, I have no flash of all the LEDs and I don't know if the router restarts itself but even after a supposed reset, the password does not work.

Any help is appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Can't access the IP or reset router

Normally, unless you have some special requirements, you would not need to change any settings of a Brightbox. What IP settings are you wanting to change? What is the actual problem you are wanting to solve? In what way is the Net not working for you? Maybe you need to take a step back.

You are using the admin pwd to get into the router & not the WiFi creds?

I think I have noticed with later versions of the firmware that the lights do not (always) flash on a hard factory reset of a Brightbox 1.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Normally, unless you have some special requirements, you would not need to change any settings of a Brightbox. What IP settings are you wanting to change? What is the actual problem you are wanting to solve? In what way is the Net not working for you? Maybe you need to take a step back.

You are using the admin pwd to get into the router & not the WiFi creds?

I think I have noticed with later versions of the firmware that the lights do not (always) flash on a hard factory reset of a Brightbox 1.

I am wanting to set it up as a repeater for a different network and I am getting IP conflicts or setting conflicts and also I would like to change the Wifi settings/password to match the existing ones. I normally access the router settings via the admin pages to do this but can't access the brightbox one.

I have tried connecting the router to solely the configuring PC, disconnected the ethernet to the main router which is the only way I can even see the IP login page but I have tried the password, plenty of generic ones (admin/admin and blank etc just in case), potential personal passwords JUST in case I did once change it but nothing.

As I mentioned, even a hard reset doesn't reset the password to the one on the router.

I am definitely using the router user and password, not the wifi ones.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The default admin pwd will never be "admin" or blank but 1 "word" of 6-8 alphanumeric chars.

Keep trying factory reset. It should eventually take. If it doesn't it could well be broken.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

@XRaySpeX wrote:

The default admin pwd will never be "admin" or blank but 1 "word" of 6-8 alphanumeric chars.

Keep trying factory reset. It should eventually take. If it doesn't it could well be broken.

I realised that it wouldn't be those, I have the 6 alphanumeric password but I was getting so annoyed I needed to try something else; all typing the same thing in over and over was getting me was the 'password error timeouts'.

The router was working when I removed it from my old location, but I wouldn't have been able to know what settings to change to and would have probably had the same issue accessing the admin config anyway.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@janicskovsky wrote:
'password error timeouts'.

That's not the error msg you get from a Brightbox with a wrong pwd. You get:

The router log in details you've entered are incorrect. You'll find these printed on the back of your router. 

You sure it's a Brightbox? You are logging in from http://192.168.1.1 ?

Investigator

@XRaySpeX wrote:

@janicskovsky wrote:
'password error timeouts'.

That's not the error msg you get from a Brightbox with a wrong pwd. You get:

The router log in details you've entered are incorrect. You'll find these printed on the back of your router. 

You sure it's a Brightbox? You are logging in from http://192.168.1.1 ?

I wasn't direct quoting, I didn't have the error in from of me so I just put it in apostrophes rather than quotation marks, and although what you quoted  is what you get for the first few errors, you eventually get something to the tune of too many attempts, try again in 1 minute, then 5 minutes etc.

It is definitely an EE Brightbox and from 192.168.1.1

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.