by Tealc Investigator
Investigator

Can i specify where a 2nd phone line is installed to ?

My house already has a phone line with sky but my son has requested a 2nd line put in by ee. Will he be able to specify where the line is installed?

He wants it in his bedroom for gaming reasons.

27 REPLIES 27
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Can i specify where a 2nd phone line is installed to ?

@Tealc  The question is why have a second line if it’s just for gaming,  why not just up the speed for the original line as this would be a lot cheaper and then instead of using a wifi connection have a hardware connection to the original router.  

If you really want to have a 2nd line you’ll have to pay to have a whole new line added to the cabinet in the street and your home ( providing there is space in the cabinet  )   But yes you can have it installed in a bedroom.  

But if your son is really in to online gaming I recommend looking at virgin as you can have a BB package that is just for this purpose and offers up to 300meg down and 20meg up.  You could even just have the 200Meg down and that still provides 20meg up and if he’s the only one using it that would be perfect.  You could just start at the 100meg connection and up that if you feel it’s not good enough and you can test out a higher level if you wish for a month as virgin allow you to change the speed up or down mid contract.  

by Tealc Investigator
Investigator

@Chris_B My son has a power line adapter connected yet keeps getting disconnects and bad signal in his room etc(changed settings and Nat and opened ports etc already to no avail) so that's why he has opted to take out a line of his own. Only charged £45 for installation and router and activation etc that's why I wanted to check it would be able to go into his room as it would be no good having his router downstairs facing the same problem agai

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

A powerline has disadvantages, often has speed losses and is unreliable. For gaming the best option is to hard wire a Cat5 ethernet cable from the router to his room.  This will be MUCH better than Powerlines.  Secondly, having an optimised home telephone socket and network is worth doing first.  If you have old phone extensions still connected at the back of your master socket then that will cause big issues for speeds.

If you go for a second line that will cost you around £28pm in rental and won't give you much more speed than just sharing the first line.  If no-one else is using the first line at the time then it will be the same speed.

If you going to have the expense of second line it would be better to speak to ISP or BT about a bonded line where you rent two lines but they give you effectively double the speed of one.  

All this assumes you are on the maximum 80Meg tariff on VDSL2 (FTTC) now and your router is the best and optimised.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Tealc  Have you tried a fixed Ethernet cable?  You can test this just by running it through your home to his room,  ok it will look unsightly but you can find out if you are experiencing the same issue and it would be a darn sight cheaper then a monthly fee.    If it works ok you’ll need to find away to have it installed out of sight in your home but this can be done and it’ll pay for itself within 6-7 months compared to having a 2nd line installed 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Chris_Bwrote:

@Tealc  Have you tried a fixed Ethernet cable?  You can test this just by running it through your home to his room,  ok it will look unsightly but you can find out if you are experiencing the same issue and it would be a darn sight cheaper then a monthly fee.    If it works ok you’ll need to find away to have it installed out of sight in your home but this can be done and it’ll pay for itself within 6-7 months compared to having a 2nd line installed 

Indeed, if you get outside grade ethernet cable it can be run outside and back in to the bedroom about where a second line would have gone... so much the same installation work.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

If you do go for a second line, Openreach are normally looking to put the master socket close to where their line comes onto the property - normally where the line comes to the house - either from a manhole or pole.  They will probably not want to run it to a new master socket on the otherside of the house... but you can negotiate... engineers on the ground are often accommodating when you talk nicely to them.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Chris_Bwrote:

@Tealc  @Paulosb  I Just looking on eBay and found a outdoor Cat 6 cable 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F351942943818   

I would suggest you get cable without connectors (as that'll require drilling a very big whole in your cavity wall).  Buy cable and spare connector plugs, and a crimping tool - then you can install the cable and finsih up by adding the plugs.

by Tealc Investigator
Investigator

His bedroom where he wants it installed to is pretty much above where the main master socket is situated anyway so shouldn't be to tricky I assume. Also if they insisted on coming in the same place I assume they could just connect my upstairs socket to the new line then I could run him an extension from there to his room minimising the need for loads of Ethernet cable? He just wants a router right by his ps4.

And as for the main router there are already 10 devices connected so not much wiggle room lol

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I don't game, but ultimate bandwidth is surely not the fundamental requirement - having 60Meg download and 20Meg upload is probably over-specced for gaming anyway.   Reliability, latency and the Ping is more important... and that is not necessarily related to Bandwidth.

You need to establish why the first line doesn't work for your son... because you may find that the Powerlines are the problem... not the line.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Tealcwrote:

His bedroom where he wants it installed to is pretty much above where the main master socket is situated anyway so shouldn't be to tricky I assume. Also if they insisted on coming in the same place I assume they could just connect my upstairs socket to the new line then I could run him an extension from there to his room minimising the need for loads of Ethernet cable? He just wants a router right by his ps4.

And as for the main router there are already 10 devices connected so not much wiggle room lol

Adding phone extensions is NOT the way to go... that may well explain why you have unreliable connections.  Extensions (especially unused extension sockets) are a big cause of poor performance.

Having an ethernet connection by long cable to the Router is a close equivalent to having the router next to the PS4... there is no need to have router right next to it.  (adding extensions makes things worse)

If you want the best gaming experience - get a top notch NTE5 master socket. Disconnect all unnecessary phone extensions from the back of that socket.  Buy a better router.  Use long Ethernet to connect the PS 4.  Make sure the other devices are not dragging down bandwidth (inefficient updates, cctv, downloading video in background, youtube autoplay on...etc.)   Make sure you are on the best tariff with EE. Check what maximum speed your line supports useing the BT availability checker.  See if the line outside your house is optimum.

As a last resort do all that again and pay for a new line!

by Tealc Investigator
Investigator

Tried everything and had tests done on the line. Even have sky q fibre so have a range extender near his room. My max speeds are 38meg down and 10meg down so if other 2 kids are streaming and stuff is being watched on demand it kinda kills that

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Paulosb  Very true.  

@Tealc  If you do make your own cable and its very easy, make sure you read on how to make one up as you have to get the wires correct.  After I made my first wire I had my boss getting me to install a 100m cable at his home and that went underground. It’s really really easy.  And it’s a lot cheaper than a 2nd line. 

by Tealc Investigator
Investigator

Sorry should have stated the internal extension that was bt installed b4 I bought the house is Not in use for anything, but just thought it could be an option

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Chris_B@  wrote:

If you really want to have a 2nd line you’ll have to pay to have a whole new line added to the cabinet in the street and your home

You don't, you pay a standard charge for line installation. However you will most likely find that you already have a 2nd line coming to your property but doing nowt. Most homes have the phone cabling coming to them containing 2 pairs of wires; often with 1 spare & unconnected. It will end behind the existing master socket where the live line terminates.

It would not be a big job for the installing eng. to run it up to the unused extension above & turn it into a master socket.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Tealcwrote:

Tried everything and had tests done on the line. Even have sky q fibre so have a range extender near his room. My max speeds are 38meg down and 10meg down so if other 2 kids are streaming and stuff is being watched on demand it kinda kills that

Range extenders: a big no no.  They are not efficient and you will get big losses. Ethernet is always the much better option.

You can't escape lots of people downloading and streaming at the same time.  If that is the primary use of your 38Megs then maybe you do need a second line and pay £30pm for it!

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@XRaySpeXwrote:

@Chris_B@  wrote:

If you really want to have a 2nd line you’ll have to pay to have a whole new line added to the cabinet in the street and your home

You don't, you pay a standard charge for line installation. However you will most likely find that you already have a 2nd line coming to your property but doing nowt. Most homes have the phone cabling coming to them containing 2 pairs of wires; often with 1 spare & unconnected. It will end behind the existing master socket where the live line terminates.

I think installation charge is neither here nor there. The big cost is the rental which will be £28-35pm.

by Tealc Investigator
Investigator

The extender is my sky q mini box but as I say he is connected via power line lan into main router and not WiFi. 

Thanks to all you guys for the advice and I've let him know and he will take the chance on openreach being nice and putting the line into his room. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.