Highlighted
by PaulRussell

Can I turn off the WiFi signal from my EE Router but keep the Lan?

My son has his A level exams coming up but I fear he is often using his smart phone when he should be revising. Can I turn off the WiFi signal from the Router but keep the Lan connection up and running? If this is possible access to the Internet would be restricted to the desk top computer which is connected via cable i.e. Lan.

Any help please.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Can I turn off the WiFi signal from my EE Router but keep the Lan?

Yes, you may disable the WiFi by logging into the router & going to Basic Settings / Wireless Settings. If you have a Brightbox 2 you will need to disable both the 2.4 & 5 GHz bands.

For more sophisticated control you could use the Firewall's Access Control & Scheduling Rules to limit the times he may access the Net.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
3 REPLIES 3
by Legend
Legend

Hi, 

Yes you can disable the wifi on the router under settings. Only the wifi will be deactivated so the Ethernet port will still be active. 

It maybe easer to take his smart phone off him? 

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Yes, you may disable the WiFi by logging into the router & going to Basic Settings / Wireless Settings. If you have a Brightbox 2 you will need to disable both the 2.4 & 5 GHz bands.

For more sophisticated control you could use the Firewall's Access Control & Scheduling Rules to limit the times he may access the Net.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Hi @PaulRussell and welcome to the community.

Hopefully, the advice above has helped with your query.

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.