by Joshy501 Investigator
Investigator

Can I buy a second box without paying the set up charge?

I want to get a second internet box for my room. I’d like to do this as I want to start streaming my games and want a better signal and stop personal problems from affecting what I can do with the net.

I was told on the phone that I’d have to pay the set up charge, however I’d like to avoid this as my flat is already using EE and I just want another box without waiting a month.

is there any way to do this? Or do I have to pay for the box and set up anyway?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Re: Can I buy a second box without paying the set up charge?

You do not need another line to add an additional router. You can set it up as an extender to your main one:

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-extend-your-wi-fi-network-with-an-old-router-915783308

If you want a completely separate line then you will need to sign up for a second line in your house and add a BB package. You do not have to choose EE you can choose another provider.

7 REPLIES 7
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hello @Joshy501 yes as customer service advised you would have to pay for an extra box.

Does it have to be a router? Have you considered a Wi-Fi extender?

by Joshy501 Investigator
Investigator

I’m not too sure, would the engineer have to remove the cables already In the network or just add some new ones?

terrobly sorry about this, it’s the first time I’ve ever looked at getting my own box

by Joshy501 Investigator
Investigator

I’d get a second box, as I need a constant broadband source. Is there an option when ordering to tell them it’s a second box?

or am I able to ask EE to collab with another broadband company, like virgin etc?

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

You do not need another line to add an additional router. You can set it up as an extender to your main one:

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-extend-your-wi-fi-network-with-an-old-router-915783308

If you want a completely separate line then you will need to sign up for a second line in your house and add a BB package. You do not have to choose EE you can choose another provider.

by Joshy501 Investigator
Investigator

Thank you for your help

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

You are welcome. The community is here anytime if there is anything else you would like to know.

🙂

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Joshy501

Welcome to the community, I see you have been given some answers here. 🙂

Give us a shout if you have any more questions.

Chris 🙂

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.