by Suzanne3 Investigator
Investigator

Builders had to cut through my phone line

My builders 'had no choice' but to cut my phone line during the removal of my roof to have dormas fitted. I will need to get the line repaired/replaced. Would I contact BT or go through EE. Struggling to get through on customer service and it's not a standard query so thought I'd ask here first. TIA 

18 REPLIES 18
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Builders had to cut through my phone line

@Suzanne3  You need to call EE customer services if you phone is with EE. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @Suzanne3 and welcome to the community.

Please do speak to our customer service team and if you choose option 3 and then 3 again that will get you through to the faults/issues team.

Please bear in mind it may be a chargeable repair on the line.

Do let us know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee 

by Suzanne3 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks. I wasn't sure with it being a BT line, though I suppose EE will arrange it through them. Just hope I don't end up paying twice the price!  

by
EE Employee

Hi @Suzanne3

Just to clarify, who do you pay for your broadband services is it BT or EE?

Many thanks,

Lee

by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Either way, the builders should be paying for the repairs surely

by Suzanne3 Investigator
Investigator

Lee, My service is with EE. 

Mark I doubt they'll offer to pay, it was impossible to keep in place as it would go diagonally across a room. 

Bit of a pain really, another in a long list when you're doing a big building project I suppose. I don't suppose anyone as any idea how much I can expect to pay? 

by
EE Employee

Hi @Suzanne3

I was double checking to make sure I gave you the correct details, thanks for confirming 🙂

Our customer service team will be able to confirm charges etc.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Lee_H  What’s the install call if you have to have a new phone line when switching to EE as your phone/BB provider ?   As I’m sure that’s what the cost would be as that’s all it is. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @Suzanne3

The call out charge would be £60 which would be placed onto the next bill.

Many thanks,

Lee

@Chris_B hope this helps 🙂

by Suzanne3 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks all. I hope it is just £60! I'll keep you posted when I get through. I was on hold for ages. I'll try early morning instead. Cheers 

by
EE Employee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Suzanne3: More to the point, who do you pay your phone bill to? It needn't be EE even if you have BB with them.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Suzanne3 Investigator
Investigator

I pay the phone bill to EE.

I'm a bit confused as to who installs/owns the telephone lines these days - thought they were all BT. I had cable for 20 years up to this year so it's all new to me! 

by Profile closed
Not applicable

When it comes to any broadband or telephone landline faults, you should always contact the company who bills you for that particular service.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

BT Openreach own most of the landlines in UK but phone providers, incl. BT Retail, rent the lines from BT OR & onward charge their customers accordingly for landline & phone charges. These phone providers may also provide BB hosted on the same landlines but don't always. You can get your BB from a diff provider than for your phone. Hence my Q.

It's all rather convoluted but you needn't concern yourself about it as you get both BB & phone from EE.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Suzanne3 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks all. Builders have advised I wait til the scaffolding is down to sort it out so I'll keep you posted in a few weeks time. 🙂 

by
EE Community Support Team

Good luck with the building project @Suzanne3 Smiley Happy

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

BT are responisble for the line from exchange to the master socket.  If your builders cut that then only Openreach can repair it - and probably charge for it.   They sometimes use a NT box on the outside eaves that is a junction en route to the master socket.  

If the cable was between the master socket and another part of the house (an extentension to your line) then it is your responsibility and you don't need to involve Openreach - get a friendly telecoms/internet engineer to re-wire it.  

Either way - someone has to pay, and your builders should have included a contingency for the cost of moving the line, even if they weren't qualified to move it themselves.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.