by latitudehopper Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Broken Box?

I would really appreciate your help here. We have moved house and I am convinced there is something wrong with our connection. Here are some basic facts.

• We just completed a house move.
  • The new house is on the same exchange and closer to it.
  • The sync speeds for upload are 30% faster but down 60% slower... this seems odd to me.

I asked EE to run tests and they said it is all OK and because we get the minimum speed there is nothing they can do despite the mimimum being way below what BT say is the minumum.

I suspect there is something wrong with the box as I have noticed that it diconnects and reconnects throughout the day which I am guessing doesn't help the line speed come up? Am I right here? I checked the logs and between 10pm and 9am the line dropped and came back 5 times. Is this normal?

22 REPLIES 22
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Broken Box?

Those symptoms are more common with faulty connections than with faulty routers.

Is it the same router as you had at the old place, that you brought with you?

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats. For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

Thank you for your reply. Details are below.

STATUS   Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Fast Path Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION Upstream 9995 (Kbps) Downstream 17619 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 10.1 (dB) 10.9 (dB) Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 19.9 (dB)
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 6.1 (dBm) 6.2 (dBm) Fast Path FEC Correction 1688312 16 Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- -- Fast Path CRC Error 0 38087 Interleaved Path CRC Error -- -- Loss Of Signal Defect 4 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 9062 Interleaved Path HEC Error -- -- Error Seconds 2796 35
STATISTICS Received Data 7371117 (Kbits) Transmitted Data 848556 (Kbits)

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1488051220677091855

Christow - WWCHRI

Other questions. Same box as the other place. Same exchange albeit closer to it. 

System Uptime is: 21:28:01

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You should be getting over twice that sync speed. The distance to the exchange is immaterial. It's the local cab. that counts with Fibre.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

What does it say for your old place?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availibility Date

WBC SOGEA Availibility Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 49.6 35 11.8 7.6 32.4 Available -- -- Yes
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 37.2 21.4

Valued Contributor

This is the old place

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 37.2 27.4 7.6 5.6 25 Available -- -- Yes
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 28.6 13.1

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, the new place should be faster than the old.

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Valued Contributor

I really do appreciate this help.

I have plugged the filter into the test socket.

I have now also removed a redundant spur from the backplate.

I have done the quiet line test.... sounds.... pretty quiet.

I presume I need to wait to see if the speeds come up and that it will not be instantaneous? I have an old OpenReach VDSL model (white thing) - would it be worth testing this?

by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @latitudehopper

Thank you for coming back with the information for @XRaySpeX and I'm sure he will be along soon to help you further.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You could wait & see. What are the stats from the test socket?

What old OpenReach VDSL model? You mean a fibre modem? Aren't you using a Brightbox 2 on its own?

I suppose it's worth a try but you can't get stats from it. So we can't tell how it's doing but you could run speedtests & get an idea from there.

Valued Contributor

So, with the test socket being used and the spur removed I am getting this. No change.

Downstream Rate 18.00 Mbps Upstream Rate

9.99 Mbps

STATUS   Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Fast Path Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION Upstream 9995 (Kbps) Downstream 18000 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 12.2 (dB) 16.6 (dB) Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 19.4 (dB)
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 6.9 (dBm) 6.9 (dBm) Fast Path FEC Correction 40884 0 Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- -- Fast Path CRC Error 0 0 Interleaved Path CRC Error -- -- Loss Of Signal Defect 7 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 0 Interleaved Path HEC Error -- -- Error Seconds 4177 51
Valued Contributor

Another thing that worries me is that when I did a home move, EE said there was no line at the new property. There was but an engineer came out either way. When I phoned BT to see if they could better the offer, they also (after the EE visit) said there still was no line at the property and actually argued with me about it. When I do the BT Wholesale checker my phone number returns no VDSL products despite having one installed on my line. It feels like something in the OpenReach system has gone odd. I am convinced I can get better performance since BT's minimum speed gurantee (yes, I get the nuance here) is way above what I am get now, however, I have no idea how to push my case forwards. When I call EE I get the usual lines about how it depends on the "type of property I have" etc etc, which is unhelpful when I am quoting line speeds and explaining all of the tests and effort I have already gone to. Is there any way to get an expert to help me to get the best possible service? I can't help thinking that if I started again with BT I could get proactive help to squeeze the best out of the line (they came out twice at the last place and managed to find an issue with the fact that we had an external master socket which caused issues with VDSL)

I really do appreciate all the help this forum is offering but unless OpenReach get involved I am not sure how it will improve.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@latitudehopper wrote:

When I do the BT Wholesale checker my phone number returns no VDSL products

Eh? You just did 1 above that shows VDSL.

This is just a user discussion forum. It can't fix issues in EE systems; only advise you about them.

Valued Contributor

Yes, that is a fair point and I should have mentioned this above. I have used my next door neightbour as ours won't register. I assumed this was more of an "administrative" cause rather than a technical one. Apolgies for the lack of clarity here.

I have just spoken with the previous owner of the house and he has told me that he used to get "high 20s" on the line - this was one week before we moved across EE services to this house. That seems odd too as if the line was an issue then surely the speeds would have been poor for him too.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@latitudehopper wrote:

I have used my next door neightbour as ours won't register.

Did it not work for your own address?

Did the previous owner get high 20s on ADSL or Fibre?

Valued Contributor

OK, so the details here are available on address search for the property. The phone number is what results in no information. The previous owner of my new house was on BT Fibre.

I have just had an infuriating conversation with EE where I went though this. I was told the following.

• EE are slower because they are cheaper.
  • I should upgrade to Fibre MAX if I want it to be faster.
  • I was asked "what is the problem" intimating that what I was getting was enough.

This is getting incredibly frustrating.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What a load of balderdash!

It's exactly the same 40/10 Fibre you'd get from all other BT-based ISPs. As it happens BT Retail no longer do 40/10, having replaced it recently by 55/10 Fibre.

You'd get no faster from Fibre Max as all it is is the same thing with the 40 Meg cap released, but as you're only getting 18 Meg it will make no diff. Fibre Max is only worthwhile for those hitting the 40 Meg cap with their sync speed on ordinary Fibre.

Valued Contributor

I think I was very good on the phone for not calling them liars. I am absolutely furious with thier lies and inability to go beyond the usual scripts. Could the line profile be stuck? Wholesale speed tests show they are locked at 18/9 and the max we get either way is just shy of these values. BT have offered to pay my cancellation charges so I may jump ship if only to try someone else!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Your IP Profile is not stuck. It just follows your sync speed at about 91.2%.

Valued Contributor

I think I have hit a wall on this whole issue. I am going to leave EE, which is a shame. I have an email in with Openreach to see if they can fix their records as I cannot order fibre for my property because of an admin issue... I must have been awful in a previous life! Thank you for your time and assistance, it was greatly appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.