by EmmaJ81 Investigator
Investigator

Broadband speeds VERY slow - please help.

Hi, 

My broadband speed has suddenly dropped so that it is virtually unusable. Switching the router off and on doesn't do anything to help. I have tried using a wired connection but that doesn't make any difference either. 

I never had particularly fast connection speeds (generally around 4mbps) but it was enough to do what I needed. Now I might get 2mbps in the middle of the night or early morning before I go out, but in the evening when I actually want to use it, it doesn't get above 1mbps and frequently it measures only 0.1.

I've pasted my router stats and speed test below and I would really appreciate some advice on what might be causing this.

Many thanks in advance.

DSL STATUS
This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.
STATUS 
 ConfiguredCurrent
Line Status
--UP
Link Type
--Fast Path
Operation Mode
AutomaticG.992.3 (ADSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION
Upstream 
1091 (Kbps)
Downstream
3155 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION  
Operation DataUpstreamDownstream
Noise Margin
6.4 (dB)16.8 (dB)
Line Attenuation
25.6 (dB)40.0 (dB)

Indicator NameNear End IndicatorFar End Indicator
Output Power
12.5 (dBm)0.0 (dBm)
Fast Path FEC Correction
Interleaved Path FEC Correction
----
Fast Path CRC Error
Interleaved Path CRC Error
----
Loss Of Signal Defect
Fast Path HEC Error STR0344962
Interleaved Path HEC Error----
Error Seconds22280

STATISTICS

Received Data
408758 (Kbits)
Transmitted Data
112576 (Kbits)

SYSTEM LOG This page shows various system events like administrator login/logout, broadband connection status.
System Uptime is: 00:41:50
Current Time/Date is: 19:48:47 07 Aug

Speed check - done on a wired connection but not through the test socket as the master is an Openreach MK3 which has a separate socket for broadband.

Exchange - York
5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Broadband speeds VERY slow - please help.

Your BB is running about 1/3 sync speed. There's a lotta ES for 42 mins. The speedtest is abysmal

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Post the full router stats, System Uptime & speedtest when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by EmmaJ81 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for your response. I got the following using the test socket. The speed test was only marginally faster.

Unfortunately I don't have a landline telephone so I am not able to do the quiet line test.

DSL STATUS This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.

STATUS   
 ConfiguredCurrent
Line Status
--UP
Link Type
--Fast Path
Operation Mode
AutomaticG.992.3 (ADSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION
Upstream
1107 (Kbps)
Downstream
3267 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION  
Operation DataUpstreamDownstream
Noise Margin
6.2 (dB)6.3 (dB)
Line Attenuation
25.6 (dB)41.0 (dB)

Indicator NameNear End IndicatorFar End Indicator
Output Power12.3 (dBm)0.0 (dBm)
Fast Path FEC Correction00
Interleaved Path FEC Correction----
Fast Path CRC Error00
Interleaved Path CRC Error----
Loss Of Signal Defect00
Fast Path HEC Error STR09218
Interleaved Path HEC Error----
Error Seconds2460
STATISTICS
Received Data5688 (Kbits)
Transmitted Data2780 (Kbits)

SYSTEM LOG This page shows various system events like administrator login/logout, broadband connection status.
System Uptime is: 00:08:24
Current Time/Date is: 21:00:11 07 Aug

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Then I strongly recommend that you buy a cheap corded handset.

There must be a lotta noise on that line to have 30 ES / min.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by EmmaJ81 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the tip. I'll pick one up tomorrow.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.