by SWedge Contributor
Contributor

Broadband speed dropped since yesterday

Good evening.

Yesterday I was very happily getting download speeds in the 31mbps range, however tonight I'm struggling to break 5mpbs.

I've tried resetting the router, unplugging and replugging in both the cable to the router and the cable from it, resetting the router, and nothing seems to have made a difference.

My master socket has an Openreach VDSL faceplate, and I don't have a microfilter to connect to the test socket anyway. I also don't own a landline phone so cannot test the phone sockets either. So with that in mind I've moved on to the next step in the guide.

I have Bright Box 2 Router and, as the status shows, should be on speeds up to 40 Mbps;

Basic status.png

My DSL status is as follows;

DSL status.pngDSL Status- 07.11.17 @22:10

My system log reads;

System log.png

My Speedtest results report an average download speed of 4.59 Mbps

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1510092865759697155

My Exchange is the Norwich City Exchange:

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EANCC

Please could you advise as to why I'm encountering such slow speeds, and what I can do about it?

Many thanks

SWedge 

20 REPLIES 20
by SWedge Contributor
Contributor

Re: Broadband speed dropped since yesterday

Update,

As of 23:03 my speed has climbed to the dizzying heights of 8.16 Mbps

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1510095747301604955 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Linky doesn't compute! Corrected (remove extra space):

@SWedge wrote:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1510095747301604955

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Your BB is fine. Are you doing your speedtests over wireless? That can be unreliable. Does it vary much over the day? Can you do them over Ethernet?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by SWedge Contributor
Contributor

All the tests were conducted via a cat 5e Ethernet cable. That's the same cable I've used since moving in to the property and until this evening my speeds have generally sat around 31Mbps

Timing wise I ran a check a couple of days ago round the same time. I'm only at home during the evenings so can't really check at any other time. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

There's really nothing wrong with your BB. It's your throughput over Ethernet that's bad.

It could be congestion at your exchange. Then usually it'll be better during the working day if you get a chance to test it then.

Have you tried diff LAN ports of the router or even the cable? 1 could be faulty.

You really need now to test from the test socket & get yourself a cheap £5 corded handset which could well save you a £130 call out charge.

It's worth having a read of Why do I need a landline phone?

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket & any inner faceplate. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post the router stats & Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

by SWedge Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the advice. 

I think I have a spare Ethernet cable or two somewhere so I'll try those and the different ports. I might be able to scrounge an adapter from someone so I can try the test socket too. I'll post the results tomorrow. 

by SWedge Contributor
Contributor

I got an email this morning:

Update on Report ID 1905228. We’ve had some reports from other people also experiencing problems near NR2 ***. Our engineers are looking into it, and we’ll keep you updated.

Which makes me suspect it's an exchange-based issue? However I will carry out the suggested tests as planned. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If it's congestion, it won't be EE looking into it but BTw who will work in the background.

Good luck with it.

by SWedge Contributor
Contributor

Had an email from EE saying the problem has been resolved, but that's patently not the case.

Found a splitter and was able to run some speedchecks using the test socket. Restarted the router etc. I also tried swapping out the Cat 5e Ethernet cable for a spare and the difference was negligible across multiple tests. I also tried each of the sockets on the back of the router and they all produced near identical results so they seem to be working equally well (or poorly?). These speeds are the same as when the frontplate is on.

Here is my latest speedtest result via the test socket;

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1510169555364668855

According to my EE account;

Estimated Fibre Download Speed is 69.7 Mb/Sec

Estimated Fibre Upload Speed is 19.0 Mb/Sec

Minimum Fibre Download Speed is 50.9 Mb/Sec

Maximum Fibre Download Speed is 80.0 Mb/Sec

Minimum Fibre Upload Speed is 17.1 Mb/Sec

Maximum Fibre Upload Speed is 20.0 Mb/Sec

Obviously Mb/Sec and mbps are not the same thing but this still seems very much below what I ought to be getting, and was recieving until a couple of days ago.

In case it's relevant here is the DSL status and System log as of this evening.

dsl status.pnglog.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

EE are NOT estimating your speedtests, only your connection speeds, for which you are getting full whack from EE standard Fibre of 40/10 Meg. So as far as EE is concerned you are getting what you should. Your issue would seem to be in your own LAN.

However those estimates from EE are only pertinent to EE Fibre Plus, but you are on ordinary EE Fibre, aren't you? So those figures can't apply to your line.

Have you done the QLT from the test socket yet?

"mbps" stands for millibits per sec & is obviously a nonsense. You mean "Mbps" which is obviously the the same as "Mb/sec" but I just call "Meg" in this context.

by SWedge Contributor
Contributor

No as I don't have a landline phone and won't have access to one until tomorrow.

Seems pretty stupid that on the 'my account' page of my EE account the rates that are quotes aren't the rates for my package? But that's by the by.

Aside from trying the QLT which I'll do tomorrow I've now tried three different cables and each of the different ethernet slots on the router. they're all giving consistent readings from both the test socket and the frontpiece which to me suggests that the ethernet cable isn't the problem.

I don't have a spare RJ11 cable so I can't test the cable from the socket to the router however. What are the chances of this cable failing randomly, and if that we're the case would it account for the fact that the upload rate appears to be maxing as it should, but the download rate is so low?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The RJ11 lead from the phone socket to the router can't be faulty as you are getting full sync speeds both ways.

Now you've tried various combinations of Ethernet cables & ports, it would seem to narrow it down to either:

1. Faulty router. Have you tried another? Have you tried factory reset?
  2. Congestion at exchange. Not much EE can do about that but wait for BTw to increase capacity. Still worth doing a daytime test.

Still like to see QLT at test socket as a faint hope.

by SWedge Contributor
Contributor

Just tried a factory reset of the router. Unfortunately it won't now reconnect to my EE account (posting this from my iPhone using 3G). 

It's been over 15 minutes and the Broadband Username is still reading 'readytoconnect@fs' and hasn't changed to my username. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Then change it yourself.

by SWedge Contributor
Contributor

So their recommended help is actually of 0 use? 

http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/home-broadband/bright-box-2-wireless-router/bright-box-2-adva...

Doesn't once mention that the system might not update itself. I assumed that I couldn't go in and fiddle with the settings manually because if that were the case their advice page would have told me.

Wow.

So on your account page EE tell you speeds which aren't relevant to your account, and on their help page they don't provide meaningful help. No wonder you get inundated with people seeking out 'community' (your!) help, given what the actual EE guidance is like I'm not surprised.

Rant about the quality of their website aside, the factory reset router is testing with much more positive results, but given the time now (23.00) I imagine congestion would be decreasing anyway, so I don't know what the route cause is, but speeds seem to be better now than they were earlier.

They also appear to be a lot more erratic and varied in terms of download speed; here's the last few tests I've run, all pretty much one after the other as you can see. While these speeds are all much higher than the 4-8Mbps download speedI was getting earlier this evening and yesterday there's a lot of fluctuation- is that normal?

multiple speedtests.png

Here's a link to the last test;

Tomorrow I'll try a quiet line test when the phone arrives, and also run some speed tests around the same time as today to see if there is continued improvement, or if it drops back down to 8Mbps again.

Thanks for your help thus far!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance. Looking better so far :).

I never started a router from 'readytoconnect@fs'. All it does is wait for EE to remote config your BB Username & pwd. Any router can be manually config'ed to the correct BB Username & pwd.

by SWedge Contributor
Contributor

The problem unfortunately still hasn't been resolved.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1511043115560858255

As you can see my speeds are currently abysmal. I've done another full factory reset of the router and nothing seems to be improving my broadband speed. Earlier this morning it was better, not great, but generally around 15 Mbps. This sounds very much like a congestion issue. What can I do?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If it's congestion, not a lot. It depends on BTw increasing capacity at you exchange. You could try reporting it to EE.

Have you tried another router?

by SWedge Contributor
Contributor

I don't have a spare fibre router unfortunately, so comparing the router is pretty tricky. I'll try to speak to EE and see what they say.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.