by Vii Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Broadband speed dropped by 14%

Hi Everyone,

I've not noticed any problems with broadband for months.  Recently I noticed it's taking longer to download. From the stats page I can see the downstream rate has dropped from 58112 kbps to 50179 kbps.

I recorded the stats, then whilst downloading waited 5 mins and recorded the stats again. I then subtracted the new stats from the 5 mins ago stats with results as below;

Changes in stats over a 5 minute period whilst downloading a game from steam.

Fast Path FEC Correction Near End Indicator 199926
Fast Path FEC Correction Far End Indicator 0
Fastpath CRC error Near End Indicator 0
Fastpath CRC error Far End Indicator 0
Fastpath HEC Error STR Near End Indicator 0
Fastpath HEC Error STR downstream 0
Error seconds Near End Indicator 0
Error seconds Far End Indicator 0

The router has not been powered cycled for months.  Please see images below of system up time and stats.

Stats 

Stats_20190115_1448.pngStats 20190115Uptime_20190115_1445.pngSystem Uptime 20190115

I was advised in the past not to power off / power cycle the router as it can reduce the broadband speed.

On the phone just listening to the dial tone I can occassionally hear a low volume thud that last for 1 second.

Please does anyone have any advice on what I can do to get the download speed back up to 58000 kbps.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Broadband speed dropped by 14%

You do have a lotta FEC Corrections which are slowing it down with its retransmissions.

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Hi XRaySpeX,

I'm glad to see you're still helping the community.  You solved the last problem I had.

We've never had a test socket, a BT engineer checked again when we had Master Socket 5c mk4 installed I think that was back in Nov 2017, the faceplate has two ports on it that are next to each other horizontally, the one on the left for broadband, the one on the right for telephone.

There are 3 other additional telephone plates in the house, when a BT engineer was here last, he disconnected all the additional faceplates but one.  In that one we have the phone base station plugged in without a broadband filter(as was advised no longer need to use filters with the Master Socket 5c)and there is a single port on that faceplate.

With the router switched off and unplugged from the phone socket, plugged the phone into the master socket and performed BT quite line test, there was a very, very low level of continous hiss, you don't notice it when you're having a telephone conversation, didn't hear any thuds. (Note after everything was reconnected back to how it was and switched on, not hearing any occassional thuds when listening to the dial tone although they were there yesterday).

Please find screenshots below of system uptime and stats with just the router connected.

System uptime

Uptime_20190116_1119.png

Stats

Stats_20190116_1119.png

Thanks.

EDIT: Master Socket 5c mk4 installed in Nov 2017.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

You do have a test socket in the NTE 5C Mk 4 - see Linebox NTE5C User instructions . Please follow that with my previous instructions.

The QLT should be silent.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Apologies I was not able to perform the tests yesterday after you posted.

Stats image before powering off & unplugging everything prior to quite line test using test socket.

Stats_201901_0959_pre_testsocket.png

With the cordless phone base station plugged into the test socket the quite line test has a low volume hiss.  I'll report that to EE.

The test socket is a thin horizontal socket that a telephone can plug into.  The broadband router cable has a square connector (rj11?).  I had to use a different cable from the router to the test socket.  Please find images below.

System uptime

Uptime_20190117_1020.png

Stats

Stats_20190117_1021_TestSocket.png

Thanks,

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You need to be using a dangly microfilter to connect a BB router to the test socket with the RJ11 cable,

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Established Contributor

Hi XRaySpeX,

I may not be able to redo the BB router in test socket with dangly microfilter until tomorrow.  Please find the BT BB availability checker image below.

BT_BB_Avail_Check_20190117_1458.png

Thanks,

Established Contributor

EE performed 2 telephone line tests and could not find a line fault.

They called me on the land line and they could hear the low volume hiss in the background.  They requested I re-try the quite line test using a different phone.

Using a corded phone(we have a cordless base station and cordless phones) plugged directly into the test socket with everything else unplugged the quite line test this time had significantly reduced hissing I could barely hear it.  

Have sent EE the above.

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for providing this information @Vii.

@XRaySpeX would you recommend the user to contact our technical care team?

Is there anything further you would advise?

Katie 🙂

Established Contributor

I had a call back from EE.  They advised that they suspected my phone is causing the noise due to the test with a different phone.  They also asked if I was having any broadband issues.  I told them yes the speed had dropped.   They could see the speed was 55 for a long time then it dropped to 50 on 06 January 2019.

I said I would replace my phone, instead they suggested I leave the phone unplugged overnight to see if the speed increases.  It has not, therefore I don't intend to buy a new phone.

I've not been able to do the test with the router in the test socket as I can't find any dangly broadband filters not sure what I did with them.  I'm buying one later today.

Thanks.

Established Contributor

Disconnected phone, then plugged the router into a broadband filter and that filter plugged into the test socket,  Please find uptime and stats images below.

Uptime

Uptime_20190118_0900.png

Stats

Stats_20190118_0900.png

Thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You do seem to be getting a fairly consistent sync speed of about 50 Meg whatever you do. It is just below the expected range for your line. There is some evidence of noise on the line. More significantly there are indications of lots of FEC corrections.

I should reboot the router & then run it for 3-4 days & report back the full router stats & Uptime.

Established Contributor

Hi there has not been any change, still around 50,000 for downstream rate and lots of FEC Fastpath errors.

Please find images below;

Uptime

Uptime_20190124_1200.png

Stats

Stats_20190124_1200.png

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.