by bakasahara Investigator
Investigator

Broadband speed drop and package lost

Greetings,

I paid for a 38mbps braodband and I've been getting ~35mbps fine for the past year or so.

Since yesterday, I am now having download speed of 3.6mbps and 2.7 on the upload, with a considerably high ping as well as periods of connection drops.

The line is in dudley area, is there any event happened that caused this?

Regards

19 REPLIES 19
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Broadband speed drop and package lost

Hello @bakasahara,

Welcome to the community,

Can you follow the instructions here and post the results here:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-home-phone/Need-Help-with-Your-Home-Broadband-Speed-or-Conne...

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @bakasahara

Thanks for posting here 🙂

I hope by following the very helpful information given to you by @Schockwave that you are managing to get some further support.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

Investigator

DSL STATUS This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.
STATUS   ConfiguredCurrentLine StatusLink TypeOperation Mode
--UP
--Fast Path
AutomaticG.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATIONUpstreamDownstream
3391 (Kbps)
5797 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATIONOperation DataUpstreamDownstreamNoise MarginLine Attenuation
6.4 (dB)26.8 (dB)
0.0 (dB)23.4 (dB)

Indicator NameNear End IndicatorFar End IndicatorOutput PowerFast Path FEC CorrectionInterleaved Path FEC CorrectionFast Path CRC ErrorInterleaved Path CRC ErrorLoss Of Signal DefectFast Path HEC Error STRInterleaved Path HEC ErrorError Seconds
5.1 (dBm)5.2 (dBm)
----
----
----

STATISTICSReceived DataTransmitted Data
109296 (Kbits)
8927 (Kbits)

System Uptime is: 00:05:57

hope I've got all you need here.

regards
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Telephone Number 000000000 on Exchange BILSTON is served by Cabinet 32

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

HighLowHighLow        

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

Other Offerings

Availability Date

Premise environment

Status

VDSL Range A (Clean)46.532.48.85.930Available----Yes--
VDSL Range B (Impacted)37.922.484.118Available----Yes--
FTTP on Demand33030--Available--------
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 6--5 to 7Available--------
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 6Up to 15 to 7Available--------
ADSL MaxUp to 2--1 to 3Available--------
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available--------
Fixed Rate2----Available--------
VDSL Multicast------Available--------
ADSL Multicast------Available--------
Bridge TapN       
VRIN       
NTEFaceplateN       
Last Test Date20-05-2017       
by Grand Master
Grand Master

What speeds did EE promise you? You are getting far below BT's estimates.

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post the router stats & Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

ee promised 38mbps, and I was getting about 35mbps fine until last weekend.

We do have extension sockets but the speed on it is low too. There isn't wires connected to the back of faceplate.

test socket status:

STATUS   ConfiguredCurrentLine StatusLink TypeOperation Mode
--UP
--Fast Path
AutomaticG.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATIONUpstreamDownstream
4616 (Kbps)
7095 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATIONOperation DataUpstreamDownstreamNoise MarginLine Attenuation
6.3 (dB)23.4 (dB)
0.0 (dB)23.1 (dB)

Indicator NameNear End IndicatorFar End IndicatorOutput PowerFast Path FEC CorrectionInterleaved Path FEC CorrectionFast Path CRC ErrorInterleaved Path CRC ErrorLoss Of Signal DefectFast Path HEC Error STRInterleaved Path HEC ErrorError Seconds
5.3 (dBm)5.3 (dBm)
----
----
----
STATISTICSReceived DataTransmitted Data
3659 (Kbits)
2343 (Kbits)

System Uptime is: 00:06:31

I just noticed I'm not able to make calls from the landline, don't even have the dial sounds, nor can i call it. The call goes through from my mobile, but the landline doesn't ring.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @bakasahara

I'm sure @XRaySpeX will be along to lend a hand when he is available to see if he can help you further.

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@EE would have given you a range of speeds & a Min. Guaranteed Speed. What are they? Login to your Member's Centre @ https://web.orange.co.uk/r/login/ & look under Your broadband speed. Post the lot.

@bakasahara wrote:

We do have extension sockets but the speed on it is low too. There isn't wires connected to the back of faceplate.

That's not good! Extension sockets should be connected to the back of faceplate. If they're connected to the innards of the master socket it means you have star wiring. That can play havoc with any BB. Extension wiring is the responsibility of the householder.

@bakasahara wrote:

I just noticed I'm not able to make calls from the landline, don't even have the dial sounds, nor can i call it.

Is that even from the test socket? If so, you probably have a "one-leg broken" fault (technically "HR Dis"). A landline consists of 2 wires, both of which are need for voice, but only any 1 for BB. Usually when this happens the BB runs slower than usual.

It is likely that the break occurs between you & the exchange, but it needs EE to call out BT Openreach to fix it. You should report it as a voice fault, don't mention BB.

Investigator

Estimated Fibre Download Speed is 2 Mb/Sec

Estimated Fibre Upload Speed is 10.0 Mb/Sec

Minimum Fibre Download Speed is 27.4 Mb/Sec

Maximum Fibre Download Speed is 56.1 Mb/Sec

Minimum Fibre Upload Speed is 6.0 Mb/Sec

Maximum Fibre Upload Speed is 15.2 Mb/Sec

Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed is 19.78 Mb/Sec

Yes, no landline signal from socket or test socket.

When we first got on fibre, we are only receiving 30kbps up and download. We reported to BT as a voice fault and a technician came to fit a new socket in, and things were fine for last 19 months, until this happened.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

If you have no landline then your broadband speed will be poor at best. If your line is with BT, you sould contact them first.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Mustrum: I thought EE won't do fibre on another provider's landline. Last time I spoke to them about it they wouldn't. They do have users with legacy ADSL on other providers' landlines but won't upgrade them to fibre w/out also taking over the landline.

@bakasahara: Is your landline with BT? You pay its bill to BT?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Get the landline fixed & the BB should take care of itself.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@XRaySpeXI was going on the OP's post 11, he advised he has had this issue before and that BT were called to fix a voice fault. If they have moved all services to EE, then yes EE need to arrange for the problem to be fixed.

Not sure why you are so negative against anyone else trying to help people on this forum?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Mustrum: Likewise, I'm not sure why you think that :(. I made a simple statement of what I believe is the situation with landlines for EE fibre in response to your post.

I took it from OP's post 11 that he called EE to get BT out, but I could be wrong & my belief is not valid.

Investigator

Might be when we were on adsl that the BT people came to fix then, we upgraded to fibre after the first contract.

We pay all our services to EE all this time, I was really confused when they told me to contact BT to sort it out.

So if I want to sort the phoneline out do I contact EE or BT?

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

OK, sorry guess its down to semantics. If you get all services from EE, then they are the people to contact.

Just to help however, EE get their broadband services from BT, BT Wholesale provde the broadband bit, and BT Openreach the phone service, who also are the ones who come out to your house.

EE are also part of BT, although all the above tend to like to keep themselves a bit independant.

HTH

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@bakasahara wrote:

So if I want to sort the phoneline out do I contact EE or BT?

Whoever you pay your line rental to, which I guess is EE. You never call BT out yourself when your line rental is with EE as you have no contract with BT.

Whoever you call, they always arrange for a BT Openreach engineer to come & fix the problem. So that's maybe that's why you thought you had called out BT.

by
EE Employee

Hi @bakasahara,

Please do let us know how you get on after speaking to customer services to arrange an engineer.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.