by Martin660 Investigator
Investigator

Broadband keeps cutting out/speed is not very fast

Hey guys, I've been having problems with my broadband at home for a few months now. The connection drops frequently (the light changes to red on the router and I can't do anything). This usually happens in bursts and whilst it usually comes back on straight away there have been a few periods where it's taken a couple of hours or where its come back up only to keep going down again. The speed is also constantly very slow during the daytime. 

I've followed all the advice on the EE help pages, and am currently connected to the master socket, however the problem is still occuring. (It has happened a few times today and it's quite annoying!)

I've attached a photo of the DSL page etc below.
DSL status.pngsystemuptime.png
Exchange: https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WNTW

speedtest.pngspeedtest2.png

Any idea on what could be wrong or what I should do? Cheers guys 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Broadband keeps cutting out/speed is not very fast

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Martin660 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Ray, thanks for the reply 🙂

I have already plugged the router into the hidden test socket (as I mentioned in my original post), when it's been playing up over the past few weeks I have turned the router off and on a couple of times, which hasn't seemed to help anything. 

The cable goes straight from the wall to the router and there is a splitter for a phone but no phone plugged in since we do not own one. 

By full router stats do you mean the ones I've posted, or do I need to post something else? 

Cheers 🙂 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You said "master socket" not "test socket". That could mean either but is usually used to mean the front socket in the faceplate with the socket box not taken apart.

If you sure it's in the the test socket, please perform the QLT. No filter (splitter) necessary.

It's important to be able to carry out the QLT. It's worth getting a cheap corded handset for this & other reasons - see Why do I need a landline phone?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.