by glastolover Investigator
Investigator

Broadband Troubles - intermittent slow to connect and dropout

Having lots of troubles for the past month or two, was going to call customer service, but looking at this forum, I think it is more likely there are helpful and knowledgeable folk here! I will outline the issues and post the info requested in this thread.

Have had EE Broadband since about last September. When we switched it worked great, a couple of months ago, started having strange and intermittent issues. It has now got to an unacceptable level, but the trouble is it is not very repeatable...

When I joined, I was using my TP-Link VR600 router, which is a great router. Since the problems were so bad, yesterday I switched to the BrightBox router EE sent me. This connected up fine straight away, but unfortunately the issues I am seeing are still there. I figure this means it is not a router issue!

Issue description:

Broadband basically works all the time, but some of the time it is very intermittent and slow to connect. This is the case on all connected devices - I have a Windows desktop PC and a Samsung smart TV hard wired to the router and the family in total also has 2 mobile phones and 3 Android tablets and a Windows laptop connected by wifi.

When browsing the internet on the PC it is often fine, but when it starts running badly it will take a long time (can be >30 seconds) to establish connection/resolve host. Though usually when it then works the page loads quickly. Occassionally the internet connection will drop out totally for a minute.

When streaming video through multiple services on the TV (iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Video, YouTube) it is sometimes fine, but when it starts running badly it will drop into low resolution and sometimes just stop and buffer loads.

Using phones/tablets is similar - often fine, but when it starts running badly it will just start taking ages to connect and load new data.

Possible solutions:

I have been down the route of trying to change DNS server to the Google public ones (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) but that didn't seem to help, if anything seemed to make it worse, so I went back to "auto" setting.

Diagnostic data:

Below is a screengrab of the DSL status details from my BrightBox router and the recommended speedtest results. The speed results are clearly great (!), I don't know whether anything on the DSL status looks bad?!? 

From the System Log in the router, I have 

System Uptime is: 28:40:58

Which sounds pretty good, I think this is since I switched back to it yesterday, but I have definitely been having the same issues in this time.

From searching my postcode on the recommended website, I believe I am connected to the Maldon exchange:

I did the BT Quiet Line test as recommended, and it sounded pretty quiet to me... there was a very very low level constant white noise, but I guess this is normal? Don't have any reference to compare it to though!!

Would really appreciate initial thoughts from any of the experts on here.

I can try to connect through the hidden test socket as recommended as a next step, didn't even know that existed!

But I would like to know if any of the diagnostics I have done so far suggest any issues to any expert folk here...

Many thanks!

DSL_Status_29Apr.JPG

EESpeedTest_29Apr.JPG

13 REPLIES 13
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Broadband Troubles - intermittent slow to connect and dropout

@glastolover wrote:
I did the BT Quiet Line test as recommended, and it sounded pretty quiet to me... there was a very very low level constant white noise, but I guess this is normal?

No, it should be completely silent. Do the BT QLT from the test socket & see if the noise remains. If so it needs reporting as a voice fault only.

I'll comment on your router stats when I'm able to see them once they've been approved.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

OK... just switched to the test socket, and it made no difference to the BT QLT.

I also switched over to the new from the box microfilter that EE sent me (had my previous ISP's one plugged in before) so am all plugged into the test socket with a new filter now. Will see how it goes like that for a day or two.

Regards the QLT - I am using a cordless phone, I don't have a corded one to hand. The noise I hear is very low level and constant, is it possible that it is from the cordless phone rather than a line issue? 

Thanks very much for the super quick reply @XRaySpeX, when you get to see the router stats I posted, please do let me know if you see anything of interest from that.

Maybe in 24 hours it would be worth looking at the updated stats from being plugged into the test socket?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Can't really say with cordless phones. That's why we always recommend a cheap corded handset which can be got for as little as £5.

Router stats & speedtest are OK. Please repeat them from test socket. Does the phone work in both directions?

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Personally, I'd stay with a public DNS when the issue is hesitant to display pages. You could chose from these public DNS:

Open DNS  :	208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220
Google DNS:	8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 
Norton DNS:	198.153.192.40 & 198.153.194.40
__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks for the reply, updates from my side:

See below for router stats and speedtest from router plugged into test socket for the last 24 hours since I restarted it.

Also results from the BT Broadband Checker as requested.

Have just tried changing to the Open DNS addresses in the router settings, will see if that helps, but I am not hopeful based on prior experience from trying the Google public addresses.

Since I last posted, issue is exactly the same. Service is working, but is intermittently very slow to connect on multiple devices. Very frustrating and definitely not acceptable.

Would really appreciate any other thoughts you have @XRaySpeX. Thanks a lot!!

DSL_Status_02May.JPGEESpeedTest_02May.JPGBTBroadbandChecker_02May.JPG

Investigator

Any other thoughts? Home from work tonight and connection is as sluggish as ever. Seems using the Open DNS settings in the router has not helped.

I think I am going to phone customer services to complain tomorrow, as this is really not acceptable, and I am working from home tomorrow, which I do fairly regularly, so I need good connection.

Thanks in advance.

by
EE Employee

Hi @glastolover

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

I will do. Would like to know what @XRaySpeX thinks about my last stats posted!

The only other thing I can think I should do is the suggested complain to Openreach about the Quiet Line test results. Does anyone have experience of doing this, what will they do?

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

You don't pay Openreach directly, if you have noise on the line you need to report that problem to whoever you pay for your phone line. Any noise on the line is going to limit your broadband speeds, so get that fixed first.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Your last stats were fine & well in line with the speeds you are estimated to get. Just the speedtest was slightly slower.

The only thing left to follow up is the low-level hum on the line at the test socket. Report to your landline provider (not BT OR with whom you have no contract) as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Investigator

OK, well my landline provider is EE, so I guess it is still a call to them. Why is the advice to not mention broadband issues when reporting this?

As I said before, I have only been able to do the test with a cordless phone, so not sure how valid it is. 

I would really be more comfortable reporting the broadband issues that I have!!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I would buy a cheap corded handset 1st for the QLT.

Mainly to get the right sort of (voice) eng. out to you as well as avoiding wasting time troubleshooting BB when the cause is a voice fault.

Investigator

I called EE today. Very impressed with customer service. Got through immediately! I did report it as a broadband issue, and they went straight into remote diagnosis through my router. The good news is that they could see that there is an issue - lots of connection dropping on the router.

They did a load of testing and didn't seem to find anything in the router causing this, then while talking about what could cause an issue with the line coming into the house, I realised that there is (and has been for a couple of months, probably about the time I have been having issues!) a hessian bag tangled in the phone wires on the top of our telegraph pole!! Got stuck up there in a storm, and is slowly disintegrating, but wrapped around most of the wires... I really should have thought about this as a possible cause before, but it had not occurred to me!!!

The EE lady seemed to think this is a likely cause and has requested an Openreach engineer to come out, remove the bag and check the line.

She even seemed to think this would happen in the next 2 - 4 days!!!

Will wait and see, hopefully this will lead to a fix...

Thanks all.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @glastolover

Let us know how it goes 🙂

Have a great weekend.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.