by marc3 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Broadband Speed Cap?

Hi there, for a few months now my speed has been what it looks to be capped at 35mbps. This never use to be the case however due to this cap speedtests only get around 26-30 mbps now. We used to get 36-38mbps. 

Sometimes the speed drops to around 20-25 mbps which is slow for a household where we use the broadband constantly for streaming, gaming etc. Availability of our broadband is pretty patchy, with FTTP on the first half of the road and the other side of the road on FTTC, which is what we are connected to. 

Does anyone know how I can get this cap lifted? Or if its a fault.

Thanks.

22 REPLIES 22
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Broadband Speed Cap?

Hi @marc3 

Which EE broadband package do you have? 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

4. What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Hi there, I am on the 38mbps package.

Established Contributor

Hi @XRaySpeX thanks for responding.

1. Product name,EE Smart Hub
Serial number,+EEH001+1804017860
Firmware version,v0.00.24.06190-EE (Tue Jun 19 17:25:19 2018)
Board version,01
Data sent / received,2.8 GB / 876.5 MB
DSL uptime,0 days 19 Hours 18 Mins 33 Secs
Data rate,6.87 Mbps/35.00 Mbps
Maximum Data rate,6.8 Mbps/45.0 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down),5.5/10.2
Line attenuation (up/down),23.9/22.0
Signal attenuation (up/down),23.9/20.1
Broadband username,PRODUCTIONHQNUN339224806@fs
2.4 GHz wireless network name,EE-Hub-4pTt
2.4 GHz wireless channel,Smart (Channel 11)
5 GHz wireless network name,5GHz-EE-Hub-4pTt
5 GHz wireless channel,Smart (Channel 48)
Wireless Security,WPA
Wireless mode,Mode 1
Firewall,Default
MAC address,94:6A:B0:23:6D:51
Software variant,-
Boot loader, 0.0.3-EE (Mon Dec  4 17:32:53 2017)

2. Haven't been able to use an ethernet as I am using a desktop PC and the router is in the other room. However this is a speedtest I did with full Wi-Fi signal.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1569696672422019255

3. Godalming Exchange

btchecker.png

EDIT- As of 20:15 the image of the BT Checker is a huge yellow triangle, not sure if it is meant to be like that. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's like that as it was awaiting approval. I have now done so.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, it looks like your profile is being banded. Has any work been done on your line or in the vicinity when you 1st noticed this?

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

Established Contributor

I also got this popup when doing the think broadband speed test. I would love to get an FTTP service but it isn't available to my house apparently, despite being available to the majority of homes on my road.

Capture.PNG

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, FTTP is not available to your home nor do EE sell it.

Established Contributor

I haven't noticed any work, and I haven't seen openreach in the area for a very long time. I do have extension sockets in the house however they are unused, also our home phone isn't working and no sound comes from the handset (not a phone line problem, the handset itself) so we cant do the quiet line test. I can't see any wires on the back of the faceplate. We have a Master Socket 5c MK4.

Here are the stats of the router plugged into test socket.

Product name,EE Smart Hub

Serial number,+EEH001+1804017860
Firmware version,v0.00.24.06190-EE (Tue Jun 19 17:25:19 2018)
Board version,01
Data sent / received,0.0 MB / 0.1 MB
DSL uptime,0 days 0 Hours 0 Mins 33 Secs
Data rate,6.93 Mbps/35.00 Mbps
Maximum Data rate,6.9 Mbps/46.8 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down),5.8/10.3
Line attenuation (up/down),24.0/22.5
Signal attenuation (up/down),23.9/21.0
Broadband username,PRODUCTIONHQNUN339224806@fs
2.4 GHz wireless network name,EE-Hub-4pTt
2.4 GHz wireless channel,Smart (Channel 1)
5 GHz wireless network name,5GHz-EE-Hub-4pTt
5 GHz wireless channel,Smart (Channel 44)
Wireless Security,WPA
Wireless mode,Mode 1
Firewall,Default
MAC address,94:6A:B0:23:6D:51
Software variant,-
Boot loader, 0.0.3-EE (Mon Dec  4 17:32:53 2017)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@marc3 wrote:

I do have extension sockets in the house however they are unused

If still connected but unused they could still be amplifying noise into the BB. Can you remove them? They should be connected to the blue/clear connectors inside the box, I hope?

I suggest you buy a cheap corded handset. They are invaluble for diagnosing BB issues.

Established Contributor

These sockets are actually not hooked up to the line, as when we joined EE we were provided with a new phone line however all the extension sockets are from the old line.

I do remember trying to use the landline (when it worked) in all of the sockets and they are all dead, so now we can only use the landline in the master socket. Thank you for your suggestion with the handset I will purchase one.

Also surely if there was a fault on the line, instead of capping it wouldn't they send an engineer to fix the fault? Ever since this cap has been put in place speeds have been fluctuating and downstairs the speed has been very slow. Is there any way we can get this cap lifted? It has been very difficult streaming, gaming and just downloading films. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @marc3

Welcome to the community.

I recommend speaking to our Broadband Tech Gurus. They'll be able to look into this and help you as best they can.

Chris

Established Contributor

Thank you for the advice, I'll give them a call.

Established Contributor

Engineer has been booked for Thursday afternoon, they said they will take a look at the setup and the entire line and see if they can spot any issues, as the broadband has been dropping a lot.

Not sure if this will mean they will lift the cap, it would be great if they do.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

They will reset the DLM if they find a fault. That will free your profile unless it still finds errors.

Established Contributor

So if they cant locate the fault, then I will to just deal with a cap?

Since it wasn't faulty before this cap cant they just reset the DLM anyway? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The banding is the result of some fault detected by the DLM.

Established Contributor

Engineer visited today, they showed us a chart of all the broadband drops for September. There were a very high amount of drops.

The Openreach engineer investigated inside and outside of our property and found ‘no faults’ and had no idea why we were having so many drops. And said the speed banding was caused by a fault and the banding helps keep our broadband running. He also recommended getting EE to provide us with a new router as that could be the only issue.

Quite disappointed, looks like we’ll have to deal with these drops and slower speeds until Openreach bring FTTP to our property which could take 5 or 6 years if its even possible on our road. 

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

You should ask EE for another router to see if that helps with the drops.

However, if it doesn't, then EE should get Openreach out again - and again if needed. 

Do you have your minimum guaranteed speed from EE? They should continue to fault find until you get that speed back, so no having to wait for FTTP.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.