Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Broadband Connection Drop Outs

Hi, my home broadband is suffering from an unacceptable number of drop outs. Basically, when it is connected, the speed is fine. However, the frequent drop outs are starting to make it unusable for streaming etc. I’ve done the silent line check and it is ok and there are no internal extensions connected in the master socket.  This problem is happening with all devices, not just one. 
Does anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be?

Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Re: Broadband Connection Drop Outs

A quick update.

Thanks for your help so far, but I've solved the problem.  The issue was overcrowding.  When I checked my network, I saw that all of the consideable number of devices in my home were using the 2.4GHz band.  I seperated the wifi bands on my router and allocated devices between the 2 bands and hey presto! the number of drop outs has reduced dramatically.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information. Obscure your names & numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Product name:Smart Hub

Serial number:+EEH001+1913003992

Firmware version:v0.04.02.09120-EE

Firmware updated:Wed Nov 27 09:32:17 2019

Board version:01

DSL uptime:0 Days, 12 Hours, 55 Mins, 1 Secs

Data rate:13.05 Mbps / 67.97 Mbps

Maximum data rate:13.05 Mbps / 67.45 Mbps

Noise margin (up/down):6.1 / 3.4

Line attenuation (up/down):24.9 / 19.9

Signal attenuation (up/down):24.7 / 19.9

Data sent / received:924.3 MB / 3.2 GB

Broadband username:PRODUCTIONHQNUN436665959@fs

2.4 GHz wireless network name:EE-Hub-4wZp

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:EE-Hub-4wZp

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 44)

Wireless security:WPA2

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:Default

MAC address:64:CC:22:6C:8D:2D

Software variant:-

Boot loader:0.0.3-EE (Mon Dec 4 17:32:53 2017)
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Telephone Number xxxxxxxxxxx on Exchange METHERINGHAM is served by Cabinet 8
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean)

VDSL Range B (Impacted)

735018.111.744.6AvailableAvailable--
70.344.417.61035AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 17--15 to 18.5AvailableAvailable--
Up to 17Up to 1.515 to 18.5AvailableAvailable--
Up to 8--7 to 8AvailableAvailable--
2----AvailableAvailable--
2----Available----
Observed Speeds VDSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2020-05-02
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
U
N
N
12-05-2020

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Locate the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (QLT), dial 17070 Opt 2, preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Reboot the router & plug it into the test socket. Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I’ve redone the quiet line test and it’s still ok. I don’t have any extensions connected to the internal last of the master socket. I’ve not been able to plug the router directly into the test socket as I got rid of my filters/adapters when Open Reach installed my MK3 socket (some time ago). Is the purpose of plugging the router directly into the test socket to check that the filter in the master socket hasn’t failed?

Thanks

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, it's just to see if the router stats have changed.

Can you tell whether the drop-outs are of the BB as a whole or just the WiFi dropping?

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Devices are still showing as connected to the Wi-fi when it happens, so I would say it’s the BB as a whole.  It was a bit of an issue when I first switched from BT (last year) and I did the QLT which was ok and then removed all of the extensions (which were unused anyway) and that made it better. However for the last week it’s been awful. Nothing has changed in terms of devices connected to it and nothing has been moved around. 

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator
Solution

A quick update.

Thanks for your help so far, but I've solved the problem.  The issue was overcrowding.  When I checked my network, I saw that all of the consideable number of devices in my home were using the 2.4GHz band.  I seperated the wifi bands on my router and allocated devices between the 2 bands and hey presto! the number of drop outs has reduced dramatically.

View solution in original post

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions