Highlighted
by bwrigley Investigator
Investigator

Brightbox access control, am I at risk

I have a brightbox and want to enable plex media server through my firewall.

I have enabled Access Control and added a new rule to allow access on a specific port.

However, by enabling access control, do I now need to add rules for all the traffic I *don't* want to allow? Have I essentially turned off my firewall?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Brightbox access control, am I at risk

You're not using the correct feature. Access Control is for blocking your clients (devices) for accessing servers on the Net on particular outgoing ports. All you have done is allow your device to access a specific port on the Net only at certain times. You presumably set up a Schedule Rule but if you didn't you just blocked it for all time.

Access Control does not turn off the Firewall but just blocks specific outgoing ports.

To allow access from outside to a server running on your LAN you need to be using Port Forwarding, not Access Control. As you only have a dynamic public IP, it may change from 1 resync to another & so you can't rely on it for access from outside. So you will also need to employ (& buy) a DDNS.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Brightbox access control, am I at risk

You're not using the correct feature. Access Control is for blocking your clients (devices) for accessing servers on the Net on particular outgoing ports. All you have done is allow your device to access a specific port on the Net only at certain times. You presumably set up a Schedule Rule but if you didn't you just blocked it for all time.

Access Control does not turn off the Firewall but just blocks specific outgoing ports.

To allow access from outside to a server running on your LAN you need to be using Port Forwarding, not Access Control. As you only have a dynamic public IP, it may change from 1 resync to another & so you can't rely on it for access from outside. So you will also need to employ (& buy) a DDNS.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions