by Bee7
Explorer

Bright Box issues - wired connection works but wifi slow and drops out

I recently switched to EE and the Bright Box is driving me to madness. The internet works when wired but when I try to use it wirelessly, it's unuseable. The connection is incredibly slow to the point that it drops out. I can't load pages, I can't download anything, I basically can't do anything at all with wireless. Plug the ethernet cable back in and it's fine. Problem is, I can't plug my phone or tablet into the router.

I found a page earlier about changing the bandwidth but this did nothing.

I have tried to phone EE help but it's always so busy. I was determined to speak with someone this evening but after 22 minutes, I gave up.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix the wifi? At this rate I'm going to have to take a day off work just so I can stay on hold to speak to someone.

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Bright Box issues - wired connection works but wifi slow and drops out

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats. For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try both a wired & a wireless speedtest here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Bee7
Explorer

DSL Status This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Fibre/Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.
Status   Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Interleaved Path Operation Mode Automatic G.992.1 (G.DMT)
Data Rate Information Upstream 448 (Kbps) Downstream 1568 (Kbps)
Defect/Failure Indication Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 17.0 (dB) 9.6 (dB) Line Attenuation 31.5 (dB) 63.5 (dB)
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 12.3 (dBm) 16.7 (dBm) Fast Path FEC Correction -- -- Interleaved Path FEC Correction 708 0 Fast Path CRC Error -- -- Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 9 Loss of Signal Defect 0 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR -- -- Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 13 Error Seconds 224 0
Statistics Received Data 471544 (Kbits) Transmitted Data 50380 (Kbits)
by Bee7
Explorer

This is the link for wired connection.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1500668476336084155

by Bee7
Explorer

When it's wireless it's dropping out. It won't work well enough to even run the test.

by Bee7
Explorer

I've tried but it just won't work

Welcome to the new version of the thinkbroadband speed test.

We encountered a problem
Error Code: 4136 (Unexpected upload behaviour)
Check you have an Internet connection and try again

This error occurs when we see no data or there are anomalies.
Check your connection is not busy doing something else.
by
EE Employee

Morning @Bee7

Please give broadband customer services a call.

The tech teams will be able to investigate this for you.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.