by Tangoman Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Best alternative router to the bright box 2?

I'd like to improve my wifi coverage, stability and speed, so whats the best router to go for as a replacement to my Bright box 2?

I've see the Asus DSL-AC68U suggested elsewhere, is this still a good choice or is there better royers to be had?

Cheers,

Lance.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Established Contributor
Solution

Re: Best alternative router to the bright box 2?

Ok for the sake of completeness of this post, I shall update on what I have done.

I have purchased and installed a Tenda MW3 mesh kit (£79.99 from Amazon)

I have the primary node downstairs next to the BB2 in my living room and the two secondary nodes upstairs at the other side of the house (one at the front and one at the back)

Sitting in the living room I now get download speeds of around 76mbps and up of 12mbps, the wifi is also easily picked up at the end of my 68 foot rear garden!

Setup was easy, have used the same SSID and password that the BB2 was using and have switched off WiFi on the BB2, using purely as a modem, I have an Ethernet switch connected to the primary node to handle all my wired network needs!

Lance.

5 REPLIES 5
by mortigi-tempo Contributor
Contributor

I don't know if it's the best but i use TP-LINK VR600, it was bought 2 years ago as an upgrade on my BT "Smart Hub" and now i use it to replace my EE router.

The VR600 is a solid router, never had any problems, there may be better options now because as stated tech is 2years > old.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I used a Netgear D6400. It had better range and feature set.  You do need to set it up for EE service and VLAN-ID needs to be 101 (not the default Orange preset).

However I am now using the BT HomeHub6 (Smarthub) on a BT Fibre service and that has even better range.  Note - the mechanics are the same as the EE Smarthub but the firmware in the EE box is less mature so certainly not the same as the BT version.

Established Contributor

Also would it be worth considering a WiFi mesh setup and just keeping the bright box 2 as a modem?

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

There's a higher spec Asus than that, the DSL-AC88U. Generally the Asus & Billion VDSL/ADSL Moder/Router ranges are well thought of. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor
Solution

Ok for the sake of completeness of this post, I shall update on what I have done.

I have purchased and installed a Tenda MW3 mesh kit (£79.99 from Amazon)

I have the primary node downstairs next to the BB2 in my living room and the two secondary nodes upstairs at the other side of the house (one at the front and one at the back)

Sitting in the living room I now get download speeds of around 76mbps and up of 12mbps, the wifi is also easily picked up at the end of my 68 foot rear garden!

Setup was easy, have used the same SSID and password that the BB2 was using and have switched off WiFi on the BB2, using purely as a modem, I have an Ethernet switch connected to the primary node to handle all my wired network needs!

Lance.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.