by debjw Investigator
Investigator

BT Openreach engineer coming tomorrow

We are moving from Virgin Media to EE Broadband and we have a BT engineer coming tomorrow.  There used to be BT lines to the house so I am assuming it will be a case of reconnecting those.  Is there a way of telling which was the internal 'master socket' for the house? The one in our study is now very inaccessible behind shelf units and I am hoping that we can reposition to a more convenient place.

Also, we have been advised to have the router near to the TV box but our PC is in another room and we would want an ethernet cable to it.  

What should I expect tomorrow?

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: BT Openreach engineer coming tomorrow

The master socket, unless it is v. old, will have a split in its faceplate like:NTE5_fl(A) The Split Faceplate

It will usually be the 1 closest to where the BT landline enters the property.

The eng. will activate your phone line & may connect up your BB in the home. However these days BB is self-install when you already have an active phone line. He will have to go to the exchange or cab. to activate the BB.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by debjw Investigator
Investigator

Thank you. That is helpful. The master socket is indeed the one that is rather inaccessible but our phone is plugged into it already and is functioning as a VM landline. 

Sounds like it is a case of reconnecting the entry point and we'll be good to go.

Am I right?

And, yes, I think the BB is self-install so we will be able to play around for best siting for us.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Eh? VM & BT lines are completely diff systems. You can't have a VM phone plugged in a BT socket. It must be a VM socket.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by debjw Investigator
Investigator

Hmm, I see what you mean. We have the large white VM cable for BB that is split at the external box with one wire fed through the external study wall for the wifi router and the other runs around the external front of the house to then enter the front room for the TV.  There is then the master phone socket that was in the original place for the BT line for the phone.

Let's see what tomorrow brings!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Just as a test at this "master socket", if you dial 1470 17070 from it does it announce your phone no. followed by "Welcome to Openreach line-test facilities" or something else?

by debjw Investigator
Investigator

Well, the engineer is here and he says VM hopped onto the BT master socket. VM left the BT box in a mess with wires just hacked through. 

Our set up challenge will be that the router will be in the study and the TV will be in another room also requiring BB Ethernet cabling. 

I can understand why people don't change providers very often. This is turning into a PITA. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @debjw,

You can also connect your EE TV via WiFi.

Hope this helps.

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

As I thought 🙂

Good luck with the installation.

I connect my Smart TV by WiFi across the house & it's fine.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.