by Spicicle Contributor
Contributor

BB2 Currently Connected Devices

I have seen some fairly old comments on this forum noting that the Currently Connected Devices list takes a very long time to refresh (hours or days even). My new BB2 has the same behaviour, but as it is only a few months old so I would expect it to have updated firmware that corrects this.

My previous router (BT HH5) had no problem with keeping it's list current, and I'm sure such a function is provided in many other network devices.

OK, so perhaps a lot of customers wouldn't worry about it, but I'm used to managing systems and networks and I find it very surprising that such a straitforward bug has not been fixed by now. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the product. What other bugs may be lurking ?

Does anyone know how to contact the development team to escalate this ? It must be possible somehow !!

(My Runtime code version v0.04.05.0001-OT Hardware version 01)

Thanks for any support.

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: BB2 Currently Connected Devices

Brightboxes' list of Currently Connected Devices is unreliable Smiley Sad. It forgets some whilst remembering others long gone. It's always been like this & always will be.

You have the latest firmware for the BB2.

You can't contact the development team; only CS. There is a so-called "email" form that you can use for BB: https://explore.ee.co.uk/broadband/email-us . Also see below in my sig.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Spicicle Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your advice Xray.

I have spoken to a senior CS member who promised to follow this up (I assume with technical support).

However, the initial contact I spoke to suggested that at least 5 customers would have to raise the issue before any action could be taken Man Indifferent

by
EE Community Support Team

Please let us know how you get on with this @Spicicle

Cheers

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

An idea! What about reducing the IP Lease Times under DHCP to force more frequent refreshes?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Spicicle Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion.

I reset the DHCP Lease Time to 10 Minutes.

And then, over a period of about 60 minutes I clicked on the REFRESH button (main Status page) several times.

Unfortunately, no change in behaviour, so I might assume that the Connected Devices list is not related to DHCP leases.

It seems that the only way to refresh the connected devices list is a reboot.

by Spicicle Contributor
Contributor

After some further analysis I can provide more info, although no solution.

The devices that refuse to disappear from the Connected Devices List even when completely powered off, or when not on the premises, are from specific manufacturers:

Samsung GearSport (smartwatch)

Samsung Galaxy S8

Samsung Galaxy S6-edge

Amazon Fire TV Stick

Other devices such as desktop PCs (Win 10), Dell laptop (Win 10), LG mobiles, HP printers, Panasonic TV, Sky box: all behave as expected, i.e. they appear/disappear from the list within a minute or so when connected/absent from the network. Conections are either via wireless and via LAN.

Also worth noting is that the problem clients all somehow provide the Bright Box router with device/host names which are displayed in the Connected Devices table (I don't know whether this is via Bonjour or some other protocol), whereas the non-problem devices just appear as "Unknown Device".

I have also tried adding DHCP Address Reservation for different clients but this makes no difference to the behaviour.

If someone from EE is reading this can they please forward on to a technical/engineering team.

Thanks.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Spicicle

Thanks for posting and showcasing your findings.

I will certainly feed this into the team.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

by Spicicle Contributor
Contributor

Thankyou @Richard_C for offering to help.

I wondered if it would it be possible now : 

1) to confirm that the EE technical team have received and acknowledged this reported bug in runtime code v0.04.05.0001-OT ?

2) to confirm whether a fault report/ticket has now been raised with the manufacturer (Arcadyan ?)

Of course I could just a buy a new wireless router from another manufacturer, but I would rather work with EE to get the BB2 working properly. Is this realistic Smiley Happy ?

Many thanks.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Spicicle,

Please speak to customer services in regards to this issue as they will be able to look into this for you.

As here in the community, we do not have any account access.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You can add to that list:

• Roberts Internet Radio
  • Pure Internet Radio
  • Roku Streaming Stick

This does not account for those devices that don't appear even when connected, e.g.:

• Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Lenevo Tab2
  • Panasonic SmartTV

I don't believe it is linked to particular manufacturers or devices but is purely random.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.